If you’re still not familiar with your toaster oven or you ever wonder what it can and cannot cook, I totally recommend trying the good old grilled cheese sandwich. Because of the even and consistent heat, the sandwich comes out delightfully brown and grilled in all the right places.
Now, the goal with having a toaster oven is unattended cooking. I know with some models that people have trouble having the lower part of the bread toaster properly – in this case I recommend just sitting down and noting the time that it needs to cook properly. You only need to do it once. Also, if the “Bake” setting does not work, try “Pizza” instead.
If for some reason you’re not in the grilled cheese camp yet, then it’s probably because of your choice of bread. The sticky white bread from seven-eleven just won’t cut it flavor- and texture-wise, you need to go sourdough or multigrain.
Which cheese is best for a grilled cheese sandwich?
In terms of the contents, I usually just go with sharp cheddar, but if you want to shake things up a bit, here’s my top three favorites:
- Havarti: melts great. Combine it with cheddar for a gooey-salty combination from heaven.
- Muenster: rich texture, great taste and melts so well. Pro-tip: spread a little Dijon or course mustard on the inside of the bread.
- Smoke gouda.
I know people who recommend adding bacon, broccoli or even sweet potatos — as weird as that sounds — but remember, if you’re adding stuff to the cheese it’s no longer a grilled cheese sandwich but a melt.
- Two slices of sourdough or multigrain bread
- Cheddar or your choice of cheese
- Softened butter or light mayo (low cal but every bit as good)
- Pre-heat your toaster oven to 425°F on the Bake setting.
- Spread butter or light mayo on the outside of your bread.
- Put your bread butter side down and spread cheese on it, then top with second slice butter side up.
- Remove the preheated pan and put the bread in. Cook until brown (about 5 minutes).
- Take it out carefully, flip with spatula and return it for another 3-4 minutes until the other side is brown as well.
- Cool, cut and enjoy.
I’ve once again put together the recipe in a downloadable booklet for you. Hope you like it:
Can you Make Grilled Cheese in a Regular Toaster?
Want a free sample of my latest toaster oven recipe eBook?
Subscribe to get a few pages ❤️