This is one of my favorite basic sandwich recipes.
It’s a great vegetarian dish, albeit a bit involved because the falafel is made from scratch.
You will need a large skillet.
5 Tips to Make the Perfect Falafel:
- Use dry chickpeas that have been soaked overnight!
- Drain chickpeas well before mashing or blending them.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to keep them light.
- Adding cilantro and parsley makes a big difference in falafel taste!
- Use a high smoke point oil for frying, like canola oil, sunflower oil or grapeseed oil.
Falafel Pita Sandwich with Yogurt-Dill Sauce
For the falafel:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas soaked in water overnight
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon cilantro freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dill freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the sandwich:
- 4 pita breads
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 2 cucumbers sliced
- 1 head lettuce chopped
- Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add the onion, garlic, bread crumbs, water, baking powder, cilantro, parsley, cumin, salt, pepper and turmeric. Mix until well combined.
- Form the mixture into into 2-inch patties. If the mixture does not hold together, add a little water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties for about 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Drain them on kitchen paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix yogurt and lemon juice. Add chopped dill, a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt. Stir the sauce until smooth and creamy.
- Heat the pita breads for 2 minutes on each side. Stuff each pita with the falafel, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and some chopped lettuce. Drizzle with the yogurt-dill sauce. Enjoy!