Right now it’s blazing hot in the Mid-West, but it won’t be long until it gets rainier and colder, so I thought I would try and answer a common question for people who need or want to stay indoors: what is a good indoor electric grill?
First, here’s the list:
- ⭐ The Best All-Round Choice: Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill
- 👛 The Budget Choice: George Foreman 15-Serving Indoor Grill
- The Even Cheaper Pick: Hamilton Beach Electric Indoor Searing Grill
- The Hibachi: Techwood Raclette Grill
Two Problems of Indoor Grills
Whatever your reasoning for choosing an indoor grill (shout out to folks living in apartments!), choosing one is a challenge — for two reasons.
As an Amazon associate I may earn a commission from a purchase you make. This does not increase cost for you or influence my decision.
First: smoke. Obviously, you can’t use propare or charcoal as fuel indoor, but there are great electric grills like the Weber Q1400 that are not suited for indoor use because of how much smoke they produce. You’ll be amazed at how fast they will smoke up your home and set off fire alarms in the whole building. So, a good indoor grill needs to have a way to remove or contain smoke.
Second is, well, taste. Electric heating is very different from gas or coal and produces very different results with different kinds of meat. There is usually browning and almost no caramelization, and you won’t get that “smokey” flavor and smell without using liquid smoke (which is no bueno). But if you’re shooting for that grilling experience or throwing a burger party, you will get the craved grill marks, and overall the taste and experience are miles better than using a toaster oven or wall oven.
There is little choice on the indoor grill market if you’re looking for quality, so I’ve singled out four very different kinds of grills. Based on your preferences, I recommend either:
The Best All-Round Choice: Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill
- The Ninja Foodi Grill. The grill that sears, sizzles, and air fry crisps. Indoor grill and air fryer
- 500F air circulates around food for amazing surround searing while the 500F high density grill grate creates char grilled marks and flavors, for food that's perfectly cooked on the inside and char grilled on every side with cyclonic grilling technology
- With the BTU cooking power of an outdoor grill, it brings outdoor grill flavors conveniently to your countertop any day of the year
- Forgot to defrost dinner - Transform foods from frozen to perfectly char grilled in 25 minutes. Dishwasher safe components
- Air fry crisp with up to 75 percent less fat than deep frying (tested against hand cut, deep fried french fries), using the included 4 quart crisper basket
Yes, this is basically a slow cooker, but whereas a slow cooker is mediocre at everything and good at nothing in particular, the Ninja Foodi suprisingly is a very capable grill. It produces very little smoke, is also easy to clean: the cooking pot is non-stick and easy to clean, and all the accessories are dishwasher safe. Its biggest drawback is in the design department: it’s bulky and not pretty. If you can live with that, you are getting the best you can get in terms of indoor grilling. It’s also a very capable air fryer.
- Fast (steak is done in 15 minutes)
- Excellent at grilling
- Versatile (can also air fry, bake and dehydrate)
- Large (at 17 in x 14 in x 11 in)
- Suprisingly small interior for and appliance of such size
- Ugly (sorry)
The Budget Pick: George Foreman 15-Serving Indoor Grill
- Included components: Use And Care Manuals
- Fabric type: Metal, Plastic
Compared to other grills, a George Foreman is very hot and fast. It’s great for chicken breasts and other kinds of white meat, but it can easily dry out a good steak. Keeping that in mind, this grill does its job very well, and looks like a proper grill. You can remove the stand or keep it when grilling on the balcony.
- Very fast (steak needs 12 minutes)
- Great value at modest price point
- Sleek design, nicely sized
- Again, it’s fast (be careful not to dry out your meat)
- Harder to clean
- Cord is suprisingly short (just use an extension cord)
The Even Cheaper Pick: Hamilton Beach Electric Indoor Searing Grill
- Locks in juices and flavors: Sear at 450 degrees or use adjustable temperature dial to grill at lower heat for optimal grilling results
- Enjoy grilling all year long: This indoor grill with hood has a high searing heat that locks in juices and flavors, and lid closes to give you signature grill marks; Serves up to 6 with 118 square inch grilling surface
- Easy to clean: Indoor grill hood, plate, and extra-large drip tray are all removable and dishwasher safe
- less mess: Extra-large drip tray catches juices so they don't spill on your counter and it's dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Power and preheat lights: Eliminate guesswork while using your electric grill
Do not be fooled: while it may look like a glorified panini press, this actually a pretty solid grill. It can cook very well and it really sears the meat. It’s less powerful than the others here but it’s very capable and doesn’t take much counter space. You can also use it in an RV. This one produces more smoke than others though.
- Accurate temperature control with dial
- Pretty good results
- Less powerful than other grills
- Small (yes, it works both ways)
The Hibachi: Techwood Raclette Grill
- [LARGE COOKING SURFACE] - The ideal gourmet smokless grill comes with a large Non-Stick cooking plate 18.5 x 9 inches, making it great for getting friends and family around the table with delicious food. The 1500 watts power electric grill effortlessly melts cheese, cook up meats, veggies and seafood just in minutes.
- [REVERSIBLE GRILL PLATE] - The electric raclette grill plate provides uniform heat and comes with a grooved and flat surface for versatile cooking options. The grooved side allows you grill desired food shade and removes frying fat easily. Flat cooking surface is perfect for creating delicious crepes, which makes it versatile for cooking morning breakfast such as pancakes and eggs.
- [ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE] - The raclette grill is equipped with an adjustable thermostat and visible indicator lights. It allows you create a myriad of delicious raclette recipes such as cooking meat, vegetables, seafood, or warming sauce.
- [HEALTHY COOKING] - The raclette has 8 individual grill pans for raclette cheese, cooking sides and sauces. It is also suitable for keeping food warm. Non-stick coating of the top plate and pans for healthier cooking with no need for butters or oils.
- [GET YOURS NOW, RISK-FREE] - Techwood offer a outstanding 30-day hassle-free return policy & 18-month warranty. We assure you that no other countertop burner beats our products' high-caliber quality & efficiency. All our products are covered by Product Liability Insurance of United States.If you have any problems with our electric grill, please feel free to contact us.
This one is a little quirky: have you ever thought of hosting a Korean BBQ party at your house? I haven’t, but you can do that with this grill. I don’t usually recommend off-brand appliances but I felt this one deserves a mention because of the idea. It’s a capable and easy to clean grill, as well. And it sounds fun.
- Fits a lot of stuff at the same time
- Easy to clean
- Grills nicely
- Generic brand. Warranty is probably out of question
- Limited use case
This is it. Like always, I hope I was helpful today, if not — let me know via email or on social media.
Thanks for reading folks!