- Subway Sauces Recipes You Can Try At Home - June 2, 2022
- Slow Cooker Potatoes Recipe - June 2, 2022
- Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets No Breading - June 2, 2022
Imagine the smell of caramelized onions with cheese melting over grilled beef in between buttered bread.
There is a new twist in town; melted cheese and patty burger sandwiches for cheeseburger lovers.
You will enjoy the heavenly taste of a sandwich made with cheese and beef topped with grilled onions.
This article will give you a complete guide on making a grilled patty melt sandwich, the Waffle House style, and more information.
Read on to find out the origin of this meal and various tips and variations.
About the waffle house
The waffle house first opened its doors in 1955.
The chain of restaurants was founded by two neighbors, Joe Rogers and Tom Forkner, living in Georgia, United States, and has since expanded to other states and countries.
The waffle house is now a well-known restaurant in the United States operating 24 hours every day.
It is famous for serving waffles, sandwiches, hamburgers, pork chops, ham, and T bone steaks.
What’s a patty melt?
A patty melt sandwich contains melted swiss cheese and ground beef topped with caramelized onions.
Patty melt sandwiches were first served back in 1940 and popularized by the Naylor family restaurants.
Types of patty melts
There are different variations of patty melts, from vegetarian to various types of meats.
Here are a few types:
This version of patty melt consists of caramelized onions, swiss cheese, and mushroom steak instead of beef in between rye bread.
The mushroom steak is marinated with thyme and olive oil in between two slices of bread.
Instead of butter, the bread is smeared with chipotle mayonnaise.
This patty melt has roasted garlic aioli, smoked chili ketchup with caramelized onions, and melted gouda.
The bread is thick spread with butter and toasted with crispy gift edges.
Organic garden patty melt
This patty melt is a vegetarian version; it combines zucchini squash, celery carrots, brown rice, lentils, and onions.
The patty is topped with caramelized onions, roasted bell peppers, and sauteéd mushrooms with roasted garlic aioli and melted cheese.
Waffle house texas Angus patty melt
This patty melt is the original waffle house sandwich that combines American melted cheese, cheddar cheese, beef patty with caramelized onions in Texas bread.
It is served alongside other dishes like chips and roasted potatoes.
This patty melt features onions cooked with pork and cheddar cheese melting on top.
It is then topped with caramelized onions and more cheese in between slices of buttered, grilled rye bread with a splash of mustard.
Waffle house Grilled patty melt recipe.
This recipe is simple to follow; you will have to be patient while cooking the onions carefully for the best results.
●Cognac or brandy
●Sliced sandwich bread
●Swiss cheese slices
●Onion powder granulated garlic
1.Heat your grill, one side on low heat and the other on medium heat.
2.Melt butter over low heat with a cast-iron pan, add onions, salt, and pepper.
Continuously toss the onions while switching between low and medium heat for about thirty minutes until caramelized.
3.Spritz brandy or cognac on the pan to unglaze for 45 seconds and put the onions in a bowl, then wipe your pan.
4.In a large bowl, add garlic powder, onion powder, and the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, then thoroughly mix with your hands.
5.Divide the mixture into small balls, use a spatula to press until it’s thick and flat, then place on parchment paper.
6.Coat the patties with a splash of avocado oil.
7.Rub some oil on the grill rack, place your patty burgers on medium heat, cook for about two minutes on each side, and then remove and put on a plate.
8.Slice your bread and spread with butter.
9.On one slice of buttered bread, add two slices of cheese, a burger patty, caramelized onions, another patty, a slice of cheese, more onions, and another slice of cheese in that order.
Lastly, put the other piece of bread on top.
10.Place a cast-iron pan over medium heat and put your sandwich on the grill.
Let the buttered side of the bread face down and cook each side for two minutes until golden brown.
11.Once cooked, remove the patty sandwiches, cut them into two, and serve with pickles or any other side dish of your liking.
●Switch up the bread, use sourdough bread or Texas toast for the original taste of waffle house patty melt.
●Tweak the sauces; you could use mayonnaise, ketchup, or any mustard
●Instead of cheddar cheese, use Colby, American, jack pepper cheese, or the original swiss cheese
●Use extra slices of cheese if you like a cheesy sandwich, melty sandwiches
Frequently asked questions about waffle house patty melts.
What is a Texas melt waffle house?
It’s a cheesesteak sandwich consisting of grilled beef and onions with cheese.
Another cheesesteak variation combines farm fresh egg omelette with onions grilled in bread.
What’s the difference between a patty melt and a hamburger?
A patty melt and a burger contain the same ingredients, ground beef and cheese.
However, patty melts are served on griddled bread, while hamburgers are made using soft buns.
A patty sandwich is a type of regular American cheeseburger.
Why do they call it a patty melt?
Patty melt was initially served as an inspiration for the tuna melt.
The original patty melt consisted of tuna chunks with melted cheese between two slices of bread.
What are the ingredients for the secret waffle house sauce?
The secret waffle house sauce combines a variety of island dressing added with ketchup and mayonnaise.
Other flavors added include paprika, garlic, and mustard.
The secret to a delicious, cheesy patty melt is the caramelized onions.
Patiently grill your onions on low heat until they turn brown, don’t overcook them.
The other secret is to properly garnish your ground beef with salt and seasoning before grilling; this allows the meat to absorb the spices.
You can season your beef patty in advance and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
This way, the flavors will come out once you grill the meat.
How about you try making a patty melt recipe, the waffle house style, today and serve it with chips or roast potatoes and vegetables.
Grilled patty melt; the classic waffle house Sandwich
- 1 Electric Grill
- Large onions
- Kosher salt
- Ground pepper
- Unsalted butter
- Sliced sandwich bread
- slices Swiss cheese
- Avocado oil
- granulated Onion powder garlic
- Ground beef
- Heat your grill, one side on low heat and the other on medium heat.
- Melt butter over low heat with a cast-iron pan, add onions, salt, and pepper.
- Continuously toss the onions while switching between low and medium heat for about thirty minutes until caramelized.
- Spritz brandy or cognac on the pan to unglaze for 45 seconds and put the onions in a bowl, then wipe your pan.
- In a large bowl, add garlic powder, onion powder, and the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, then thoroughly mix with your hands.
- Divide the mixture into small balls, use a spatula to press until it’s thick and flat, then place on parchment paper.
- Coat the patties with a splash of avocado oil.
- Rub some oil on the grill rack, place your patty burgers on medium heat, cook for about two minutes on each side, and then remove and put on a plate.
- Slice your bread and spread with butter.
- On one slice of buttered bread, add two slices of cheese, a burger patty, caramelized onions, another patty, a slice of cheese, more onions, and another slice of cheese in that order.
- Lastly, put the other piece of bread on top.
- Place a cast-iron pan over medium heat and put your sandwich on the grill.
- Let the buttered side of the bread face down and cook each side for two minutes until golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove the patty sandwiches, cut them into two, and serve with pickles or any other side dish of your liking.