There’s been a never-ending debate on how long to cook hot pockets.
Although the package indicates the time, most people argue that they turn out hard and dry.
It takes between 2 to 30 minutes to cook hot pockets.
The time range varies depending on the equipment.
When using an oven, it takes 20-30 minutes, with the conventional and toaster oven taking 28 and 30 minutes, respectively.
With a microwave, it takes 2 to 4 minutes.
All these arguments leave you wondering whether you should cook them at high temperatures for a short duration or on low heat for longer.
In this article, you’ll learn how long to cook hot pockets using different equipment to achieve crispy and tasty results.
How long to cook hot pockets
How long to cook a hot pocket varies depending on the cooking method and the equipment you use.
Let’s look at them in detail.
In the oven
How long to cook hot pockets in the oven ranges from 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of oven.
Some give quicker results, while others are slow.
- Conventional oven: It takes about 28 minutes to cook hot pockets in this oven. When using this option, preheat the oven up to 350 degrees F before placing the hot pockets on it. Once done, allow them to rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- 1100 watt oven: When cooking hot pockets on an 1100-watt oven, it’ll take 25 to 28 minutes for them to be ready. When reheating, it takes 2 to 3 minutes.
- Below 1100-watt oven: It takes 25 to 28 minutes to prepare hot pockets using this oven.
- Toaster oven: It takes between 25 to 30 minutes to prepare hot pockets in a toaster oven. For this option, cook each side for 10 minutes while flipping to check if they’re well cooked.
In the microwave
Cooking hot pockets in the microwave save you time since they cook fast.
It takes about 2 to 4 minutes to get them ready.
If you’re using a 1000-watt microwave, it takes between 2 to 3 minutes.
It will take up to 4 minutes when cooking on a 700-watt microwave.
If you need softer results, cook them for 2 minutes.
When using a microwave for cooking hot pockets, note the following:
- Check the microwave’s wattage as some call for more cooking time.
- Don’t use plastic or paper plates. While plastic plates can burn, paper plates produce chemicals when microwaved.
- Use a microwave-safe plate or parchment paper
- When reheating, cook each side of the hot pocket for 1 minute
- If you want to thaw before cooking, place the hot pocket in the microwave for 10 seconds to remove the wrapper easily.
- To get crispy results, rotate the hot pocket a few times while cooking.
- Ensure that the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. You can also shake the pocket to know if it’s well-cooked. When shaking and the filling is hot and evenly spread, it’s ready.
- Allow the hot pocket to sit for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Using an air fryer
It takes between 10 to 13 minutes to cook hot pockets in an air fryer.
For this method, preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F and flip for both sides to cook evenly until the exterior turns golden brown.
When heating up, it takes 3 to 4 minutes in an air fryer.
Use the following tips for best results:
- Take the hot pockets from the freezer to the air fryer without thawing. This helps you get crispy results since thawing them before cooking in an air fryer makes them mushy.
- When cooking several hot pockets at a time, put them in one layer with some space around each. This enables them to cook evenly.
- Don’t spray the hot pocket with oil before cooking for crispiness because using an air fryer produces crispy results.
- Ensure that the internal temperature is 160 degrees F before getting them out of the air fryer.
On a stovetop
It takes between 4 to 6 minutes to cook a hot pocket on a stovetop.
This method ensures that the hot pockets are fully cooked and crispy.
To get crispy results, follow the following steps:
- Coat the hot pocket with vegetable oil and use a skillet. This will give you crispy results faster, and the pastry will cook evenly.
- Flip the sides and cook each for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature if it’s about 160 degrees F before removing them from the skillet.
- Allow the hot pockets to rest for 2-3 minutes before eating.
How long to cook two hot pockets in an oven
The time it takes to cook two hot pockets differs from that of preparing one piece.
For them to cook well, you need to increase the time it takes to cook by 25%.
Below is a chart showing the duration it takes to cook two hot pockets using different ovens.
|Equipment||Size of hot pockets (pounds)||Cooking time (minutes)|
To be sure that the hot pockets are well cooked, check them after 5 or 15 minutes.
You can use a fork, knife, or toothpick to check if they’re ready.
If any of these come out clean, your pockets are ready.
Alternatively, remove them once the internal temperature gets to 160 degrees F.
How long should you cook two hot pockets in a microwave?
If you’re cooking two hot pockets together in a microwave, it’s recommended to use one with 1100 watts and above.
Suppose you’re using a microwave of below 1100 watts, it’s advisable to cook one hot pocket at a time.
It takes 3 to 4 minutes to get two hot pockets ready in a microwave with 1100 and above.
You’ll know they’re ready once the internal temperature hits 160 degrees F.
Alternatively, insert a fork or toothpick through the pastry to check for readiness if you don’t have a food thermometer.
Once ready, let them sit for about 2-3 minutes before serving to allow the temperature to rise to 165 degrees F for safety reasons as recommended by the FDA.
How long to cook two hot pockets in an air fryer
Cooking hot pockets in the air fryer gives you more crispy results than when using an oven or microwave.
Before cooking, spray the hot pockets with cooking oil to make the dough turn crispy faster.
It generally takes 15-18 minutes to cook two hot pockets in an air fryer.
The exact time it takes depends on the type of air fryer you use.
Some brands give faster results than others.
To know if the hot pockets are well cooked, their internal temperature should be around 160 degrees F.
Once they attain that, remove and allow them to sit for 2-3 minutes, then serve.
Why it takes longer to cook hot pockets
Hot pockets are fast foods that take a short time to cook.
However, sometimes they can take longer for the following reasons:
- Since hot pockets are frozen, you’ll need to reheat them before cooking. The appliance you use to cook the pastry, especially ovens with lower watts, requires more time to defrost. Other than the cooking time, there’s also the time ut takes to defrost.
- The cooking equipment you use determines how long your hot pockets can cook. Cooking hot pockets using an oven is the longest method. This is because the appliance warms the dish gradually instead of burning its molecules faster. Equipment like air fryers and stovetops give fast results. A microwave provides the quickest way of cooking and reheating hot pockets than all the other equipment.
How to cook hot pockets faster
The quickestst way to cook hot pockets is using a microwave.
To achieve the best results quickly, follow the following steps.
- Get your hot pockets and microwave plate ready
- Defrost the hot pockets
- Check the microwave’s wattage
- Remove the packaging.
- Stuff the hot pocket in a crisping sleeve to make it crispy and well cooked
- Place the hit hot pocket on a microwave-safe plate
- Set your microwave to 2 minutes
- Once ready, leave it to rest for about 2 minutes before serving.
How long should you microwave a refrigerated hot pocket?
You can microwave a refrigerated hot pocket in an 1100-watt microwave for 2 minutes.
If you cook two hot pockets, it’ll take 4 minutes on a high setting.
Can you put hot pockets in the refrigerator?
It’s not advisable to put hot pockets in the fridge.
Keep them in the freezer and thaw them when ready to cook.
How do you make hot pockets crispy?
To make hot pockets crispy, fry each side for about 2-3 minutes and coat them with vegetable oil before cooking.
Since the filling is cooked, frying them adds crunchiness to the exterior.
Hot pockets are an ideal breakfast delicacy that doesn’t take long to prepare, provided you have the right equipment.
It takes longer in some equipment, but others get the job done in about 2 to 3 minutes.
When cooking, stick to the recommended time above.
This is because overcooking will give you dry and hard hot pockets that are difficult to eat.
On the other hand, undercooking them produces doughy, raw results.
Hot Pocket Recipe
- 1 bowl
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 cups warm milk
- Put warm milk in a large bowl
- Add sugar and yeast to the bowl and mix well
- Add the five cups of flour and knead to make a dough
- Transfer the dough into a bowl sprayed with some cooking oil
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel
- Let the dough sit for ninety minutes or until it rises
- Take the dough out and divide it into four parts
- Use a quarter of the dough to make three hot pockets
- Make the dough into a rectangle
- Divide the rectangle into three parts
- Place preferable filling into triangles away from the edges
- Fold the rectangles and seal them by pressing on their edges using a fork
- Store the pockets in the freezer or fridge
- 25 Easy Cool Whip Recipes - February 24, 2023
- 25 Easy Chuck Steak Recipes - February 24, 2023
- 25 Simple Camping Breakfast Ideas - February 24, 2023