This is an incredibly versatile dish. Pair it with a salad to have a complete meal. You will need a toaster oven.
Variation: Quiche with Spinach and Cheddar
- Omit ham. Defrost 3/4 cup (175 mL) frozen spinach and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Sprinkle over bottom of a baked pie shell, then gently spoon egg mixture on top. Frozen spinach is available loose, so you don’t have to defrost a whole package.
Deep-Dish Pie Shells
Frozen deep-dish pie shells are available in the frozen pastry section. Follow package directions for baking. Be sure to purchase the deep-dish shells, as pastry has a tendency to shrink a bit when baking.
Brunch Quiche Baked in a Toaster Oven
- ln a large bowl, beat eggs until just combined. Stir in milk, cheese, ham, dill, salt, pepper and nutmeg, if using.
- Gently pour egg mixture into baked pie shell and carefully distribute cheese and ham evenly.
- Bake in preheated 350 °F (180 °С) toaster oven for 45 minutes, or until center is set. If quiche is browning too much on one side, turn halfway through baking time. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- In a large bowl, beat together 6 eggs, 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk, and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt. Stir in 2 chopped green onions and 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Cheddar cheese.
- If desired, add 1/2 cup (125 mL) of any of the following: diced cooked ham, cooked bacon or sausage, diced cooked potato or cooked corn, and/or 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped red or green bell pepper.
- Grease a 9-inch (23 cm) glass pie plate with 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil or softened butter. Pour in the egg mixture. Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) toaster oven for 25 minutes or until just firm in the center. Remove from oven and let stand for 3 to 4minutes.
- Cut into serving pieces. Makes 2 to 3 servings.