John Wayne Dish is a crustless, vegetarian casserole with cheese and eggs.
May trace its roots back to John Wayne, the American actor.
You usually picture rectangular plates and oven racks when you think about casseroles.
These slow cooker casserole recipes, on the other hand, will have you looking at casseroles in a whole new way.
Casseroles are a comfortable, hearty dish that most people enjoy, but putting them together and then monitoring them in the oven for X amount of time may be time-consuming.
It’s a simple, almost effortless approach to preparing a family-friendly supper.
Ground beef seasoned like tacos, heaped high with onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, and jalapenos, then smothered in a creamy, cheesy sauce.
Every night, we make Crockpot John Wayne Casserole in the slow cooker!
What makes this recipe so effective?
Slow Cooker John Wayne Casserole is a variant of John Wayne Casserole, one of the most popular hot foods on the internet.
You’ll use the same lovely ingredients that everyone knows and loves, but instead of baking in a dish, you’ll use the slow cooker.
This ground beef recipe is brightened with colorful veggies.
The biscuits on the side are the only change between this and the original recipe.
They’re fantastic for dipping.
Ingredient Information and Suggestions for Substitutes
Beef: Two pounds of ground beef are required. You may utilize an 80/20 ratio of lean to fat.
Brown the ground meat, then drain and combine with the taco seasoning.
For the best flavor, use my taco seasoning, although a seasoning package would suffice.
Vegetables: Freshly sliced bell pepper, onions, tomato, and bottled fresh jalapenos are used to give flavor and color to this dish.
The packaged jalapenos are then put into the container and will garnish the fresh slices.
Don’t be put off by the spiciness if you’re sensitive to it.
The jalapenos don’t add too much heat; they’re just right!
1. Ground the beef in the big pan over medium-high heat and drain excess grease. Then stir the taco seasoning and water. Cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Place the ground beef in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker (or larger).
3. Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of the onions in a mixing dish. Set aside after thoroughly mixing.
4. On the taco meat pan, sauté the remaining onions and bell peppers until somewhat soft.
5. In the crockpot, layer the following ingredients in the next order: taco meat, tomato slices, bell pepper, onion combination, Jalapeno peppers, and sour cream mixture.
6. Simmer on medium for 3-4 hours, covered. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top just before serving, cover, and set aside to melt for 15 minutes.
7. Top with fresh jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro, and extra sour cream, if desired. Garnish with a side of crackers.
Suggestions for Serving
When served with a side of biscuits, crockpot John Wayne casserole is fantastic.
The original casserole recipe calls for canned (or handmade) biscuits as the crust, but the biscuits make a terrific dipping in this slow cooker variation!
Add fresh jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro, and extra sour cream.
It is a fantastic make-ahead dish that can be frozen once thoroughly baked.
- Allow it to cool fully before firmly wrapping it in plastic wrap.
- Store in the freezer for up to three months.
- Reheat in a 350°F oven until thoroughly warmed.
- Replace 1/2 cup of the sour cream with mayonnaise for a tangier topping.
- Use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Instead of canned tomatoes, place sliced tomatoes (approximately 2 to 3 fresh tomatoes) over the ground beef layer.
How to Freeze and Store
Refrigerate leftover casserole in an airtight container after 2 hours of cooking and consume within 3 to 4 days.
To preserve remains, place them in a freezer container with a label that includes the name and date, and freeze for up to 3 months.
Refrigerate overnight to defrost.
- Calories: 494cal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g Monounsaturated Fat: 14g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
- Sodium: 744 mg
- Potassium: 451mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 4g
- Vitamin A: 1485 IU
- Vitamin C: 24mg
- Calcium: 211mg
- Iron: 3mg
Ground beef, carrots, pickled jalapenos, and cheese are placed on a biscuit crust in the John Wayne dish.
“Wayne personally provided the recipe to a 1979 booklet titled “Cooking with Love from Cara and Her Friends,” published by Cara Connery, giving the dish its name.
The source of Wayne’s recipe is unclear.” What is presently known as John Wayne casserole, on the other hand, is a far cry from the original recipe.
It omits the eggs and replaces them with a biscuit crust and ground beef, but the pickled jalapenos, tomatoes, and cheese remain faithful to the original southern origins.
The following are some of the health benefits of eating this dish:
Ground beef is commonly used in slow cooker John Wayne casseroles.
Beef’s key health advantages are derived from its high protein content and vitamins and minerals.
1. Assists in the formation of cells: Protein is required to maintain muscular tissue and a variety of biological activities that occur throughout the day in your body.
This macronutrient aids in the formation of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood in your body.
Beef contains selenium, which is required for DNA synthesis.
2. Supports Hormone Creation: Niacin, a B vitamin, helps several physiological processes work correctly, including the production of sex hormones.
The mineral selenium is necessary for thyroid function.
3. Restores Iron Stores: Iron is required by your body for various tasks, including producing red blood cells.
Dietary iron is contained in beef and other animal proteins in two forms: non-heme and heme.
Because heme iron is easier for the body to utilize than non-heme iron, you don’t need to ingest as much of it to help prevent anemia and other disorders caused by low iron.
4. Blood sugar management: The capacity to control blood sugar is one of the health benefits of ground beef.
It’s possible because the meat is high in vitamin B6 and zinc, which help regulate blood sugar levels.
5. Enhance immunity: Vitamins, particularly vitamin B6, are recognized for producing antibodies.
The performance of zinc and selenium, minerals obtained from the health advantages of ground beef, also aids the act.
As a result, ingesting ground beef will help you avoid infections.
6. Increase energy: Ground beef, which is often formed of red meat, has a lot of fat.
Saturated and monounsaturated fats make up most of the fats found in ground beef.
Saturated fat is thought to be harmful to your health.
However, consuming the recommended quantity of saturated fat will provide you with enough energy to go through the day.
Overall helps to perform better.
7. Beneficial for muscle: Red meat, especially ground beef, is commonly consumed by bodybuilders because it has a high quantity of protein.
As we all know, protein is the most crucial factor in increasing muscle building.
Furthermore, elements such as iron will assist the muscle in continuing its beneficial function.
8. Lower blood pressure: Niacin is a nutrient that may be found in meat.
Ground beef, in particular, has a significant amount of niacin.
According to studies, niacin is highly useful in regulating blood circulation and controlling blood pressure.
As a result, modest intake may help you avoid hypertension and other blood pressure-related illnesses.
9. Reduced risk of heart disease: Niacin in ground beef helps manage blood pressure, good for heart health.
Normal blood pressure can help avoid strokes, heart attacks, coronary heart disease, and other cardiovascular disorders.
Furthermore, ground beef includes fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6, beneficial to the heart.
10. Prevent cancer: Vitamin B12, zinc, and selenium help reduce cancer risk.
Colon cancer is the sort of cancer that can be avoided by eating ground beef.
As a result, incorporating ground beef into your diet may help you prevent the symptoms of colon cancer.
11. Cell growth: According to one study, selenium is necessary to repair and increase cells in the human body.
As we all know, ground beef is an excellent source of selenium.
As a result, consuming ground beef daily will provide you with the health advantages of ground meat.
12. B12 for the brain and neurological system: Ground beef is known to contain fatty acids, despite its low concentration.
Fatty acids are excellent for the brain and neurological system.
Furthermore, ground beef contains vitamin B12, beneficial to the brain and nerves.
As a result, it is ideal for youngsters. Can combine ground beef and parmesan cheese.
13. Prevent anemia: Iron deficiency is the most common cause of anemia.
On the other hand, consuming ground beef may help you meet your iron requirements.
As a result, you may prevent Anemia Symptoms while reaping the health advantages of eating ground beef regularly.
You could serve the casserole with a little salsa and more diced green pepper on top, but you could serve it with anything you choose.
Although this is a complete meal on its own, it can be accompanied by a salad.
This dish’s richness is broken through by the sharp freshness.
I’m confident you’ll love this dish, so get in the kitchen and try it right now!
John Wayne Casserole in a slow cooker
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 Vegetables
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onions
- 1 tomato
- 1 bottled
- Ground the beef in the big pan over medium-high heat and drain excess grease. Then stir the taco seasoning and water. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place the ground beef in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker (or larger).
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, half of the cheddar cheese, and half of the onions in a mixing dish. Set aside after thoroughly mixing.
- On the taco meat pan, sauté the remaining onions and bell peppers until somewhat soft.
- In the crockpot, layer the following ingredients in the next order: taco meat, tomato slices, bell pepper, onion combination, Jalapeno peppers, and sour cream mixture.
- Simmer on medium for 3-4 hours, covered. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top just before serving, cover, and set aside to melt for 15 minutes.
- Top with fresh jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro, and extra sour cream, if desired. Garnish with a side of crackers.