Though flavor-wise some people prefer deep-fried, air frying tofu is a healthier and cheaper alternative. Try this crispy version, and, as always, you can skip the sauce to go vanilla!
5 Tips for Perfect Air Fried Tofu
- Try to find extra-firm tofu as it holds up well to frying. Also, if you decide to use soft tofu instead, it won’t be as crispy.
- Pressing tofu before frying to remove excess moisture will improve its flavor and texture and make it more crispy when frying.
- It is better not to overcrowd the air fryer and to arrange tofu cubes in a single layer. Fry them in batches if needed.
- For a more intense flavor, leave the tofu to marinate overnight.
- Add air fryer tofu in peanut sauce to salads, fried rice, steamed broccoli or simply sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Air Fryer Tofu in Peanut Sauce
For the Tofu:
- Press the tofu: place the tofu on a plate between two paper towels and top it with a heavy pan. Leave for about 15 minutes to drain excess water.
- Cut the tofu into 1″ cubes.
- In a large bowl prepare the marinade by mixing together soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar with the spices. Add the tofu and toss gently to coat. Leave to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk peanut butter, water and lemon juice until combined. Add in soy sauce and sesame oil and stir. Set aside.
- Set your air fryer to 375º F (190º C) for 10-15 minutes.
- Place tofu cubes inside the air fryer basket in a single layer with space between them. Cook for 10-15 min removing the basket occasionally and tossing the tofu around to cook evenly until golden and crispy.
- Remove the tofu from the air fryer. Pour it over with peanut sauce and serve!