Latest posts by Grace (see all)
- Subway Sauces Recipes You Can Try At Home - June 2, 2022
- Slow Cooker Potatoes Recipe - June 2, 2022
- Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets No Breading - June 2, 2022
Air frying a blooming onion does the impossible – lets you enjoy that sweet and sour, fulfilling taste without all those extra calories! For those of you that don’t know what it is, it’s an onion, cut into strips and deep-fried. Yum!
Tips for Making Most Delicious Air Fryer Blooming Onion
- Do not cut through the onion root as it will make the onion fall apart.
- Leave the onion for a few minutes after slicing to give it time to open. Then gently separate the petals using your hands.
- Use a generous amount of spraying oil to ensure crispy breading. And remember to cover the onion with the coating completely.
- Air frying time can vary based on the onion size. Check on the onion through cooking and re-spray oil a couple of times if needed until perfectly brown.
- Air fried blooming onion is best served with a mild taste homemade dip.
Crispy Air Fryer Blooming Onion
Air frying a blooming onion does the impossible – lets you enjoy that sweet and sour, fulfilling taste without all those extra calories! For those of you that don't know what it is, it's an onion, cut into strips and deep fried. Yum!
- 1 large onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- Oil for spraying
- Cut the top ½-inch part off the onion to make a flat surface and then gently peel the skin off. Leave the root on. Place the onion flat (cut) side down on a cutting board. Take the knife and, starting ½-inch away from the root, make 4 cuts to slice onion into 4 even quarters. Then make two or three slices down the onion in between each quarter to make 12-16 slices in total. Flip the onion over and separate the petals.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix flour with garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano and parsley until well combined. In another bowl beat the eggs. Pour in milk and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take the onion and place it into the flour mix and coat. Using your hands gently separate petals and sprinkle with the mixture. Turn the onion over and shake off excess flour.
- Dip the onion in the egg and milk mixture. Using a spoon, spread it all over onion.
- Move the onion back to the first bowl and repeat the coating process.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Carefully transfer onion to the air fyer and spray with oil. Air fry for about 15 minutes or until crispy and golden. Re-spray if needed halfway through.
- Remove the onion from the air fryer and serve. Enjoy!
Calories: 181kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 8gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 628mgPotassium: 174mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 403IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 66mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!