It’s hot and sunny.
You’ve been outdoors minding your business.
Drenched with sweat, you thirst for a glass of freeze-cold water.
But then someone, out of the blues, offers you something better – a can of twisted tea.
However, you hesitate to take a sip because you want to know what alcohol is in twisted tea?
Is it safe for you?
Here’s everything you need to know about the alcoholic content in twisted tea.
So, what alcohol is in twisted tea?
ABV in Twisted TeaThe ABV (alcohol by volume) of Twisted Tea Original is 5%.
This means that every can (or 12 fluid ounces) of the drink contains 0.6 fluid ounces of alcohol.
This is slightly higher than the ABVs of other non-alcoholic beverages such as Coca-Cola (0.5%) and Bud Light (4.2%).
But it’s still lower than that of most hard seltzers and malt liquors, which have an ABV of 5% to 7%.
Tea beer is a classic, non-carbonated, naturally sweetened, hard iced, refreshing beverage laced with malt base alcohol.
This article will explore the features of Twisted Tea and its alcohol content.
The twisted tea homemade recipe
Making twisted tea at home is not as complicated as you might think.
Here’s a quick and easy recipe for you to follow:
- 1 12-ounce can of frozen lemonade concentrate-
- 1 12-ounce can of frozen cranberry juice concentrate
- 1 liter of 7-Up-32 ounces of unsweetened iced tea-16 ounces of vodka
1) In a pitcher, mix together the lemonade and cranberry juice concentrates.
2) Add the 7-Up, iced tea, and vodka.
3) Stir well and serve over ice.
Please note that the alcohol content in this homemade recipe may vary depending on the proportion of ingredients used.
Other hard iced tea flavors
Unlike in the past, canned and bottled twisted tea beverages today come in different flavors.
- Black cherry
- Half & half
With the above in mind, consumers are no longer confined to the original taste of hard iced tea.
Unique benefits of twisted teas
Twisted tea comes with a plethora of benefits.
They include the following:
- It’s low in calories – Twisted Tea is known to have fewer calories as compared to other alcoholic beverages. For instance, a 12-ounce can of Twisted Tea has only 220 calories while the same size can of beer has 153 calories.
- It has no artificial sweeteners – Most commercial hard iced tea brands don’t use artificial sweeteners. This makes the drink a healthier option as compared to other sugary alcoholic beverages.
- It contains antioxidants – Antioxidants are known to scavenge harmful toxins from the body and help boost immunity. Twisted tea is a good source of antioxidants thanks to the inclusion of tea leaves in its brewing process.
- It may improve heart health – Some studies suggest that moderate consumption of hard iced tea can help lower the risk of heart disease. This is attributed to the fact that the drink contains flavonoids, which have been shown to promote heart health.
- It may promote weight loss – Twisted tea has fewer calories as compared to other alcoholic beverages. This makes it a good choice for people who are looking to shed some pounds. Additionally, the drink is known to boost metabolism, which further aids in weight loss.
- It may boost energy levels – The caffeine present in twisted tea can help increase alertness and energy levels. This makes the drink a good choice for people who need an energy boost.-It may lower the risk of cancer – Some studies suggest that the antioxidants present in hard iced tea can help protect against cancer. This is attributed to the fact that antioxidants scavenge harmful toxins from the body and help boost immunity.
How to serve twisted tea
Serving twisted tea is pretty simple.
Just pour it over ice and enjoy!
If you want to get fancy, you can garnish your drink with a slice of lemon or lime.
Twisted tea is a refreshing and delicious alcoholic beverage that is perfect for summertime drinking.
Alternatively, you can also use it to make spiked iced tea.
Simply add your favorite liquor to a glass of iced tea and enjoy!
Other Twisted Tea alternatives
While twisted tea is a great choice for an alcoholic beverage, there are also other options available.
If you are looking for something similar, you can try the following:
Hard lemonade – Hard lemonade is a refreshing and tangy alternative to twisted tea. It is made with lemon juice, water, and sugar and then fermented with yeast. Like hard iced tea, it is also served over ice and can be garnished with a slice of lemon.
Spiked seltzer- Spiked seltzers are becoming increasingly popular as a lighter alternative to beer. They are made with sparkling water and alcohol and come in a variety of flavors.
Vodka soda- A vodka soda is a simple and refreshing drink that is perfect for summertime drinking. It is made with vodka, sparkling water, and lime juice.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What is twisted tea?
Twisted tea is an iced tea laced with malt base alcohol.
Commonly bought in cans and bottles, twisted tea can be drunk iced or chilled.
Most importantly, you can brew the beverage from the comfort of your home by spiking sweet tea with vodka and natural lemon flavor.
Why is tea beer so popular?
Twisted tea is popular today because it is a refreshing and delicious alcoholic beverage that is perfect for summertime drinking.
Additionally, it is also low in calories and contains no artificial sweeteners.
What does tea beer taste like?
Hard iced tea has a satisfyingly sweet taste with an unmatchable hint of citrus.
However, tea beer continues to adopt new flavors, thus becoming the darling of many consumers.
Does hard-iced tea pair well with other foods?
Hard-iced tea is mostly taken as a standalone drink.
However, it can be paired with food like chicken and fish.
The beverage also goes well with barbecued food owing to its citrusy taste.
How long does spiked tea last?
Spiked tea can last for up to 2 weeks when stored in the fridge.
However, if you want to enjoy the drink for a longer period, you can store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What is the nutritional value of spiked tea?
A can of twisted tea has about 220 calories and no artificial sweeteners.
Additionally, it is also low in carbs and gluten-free.
Is there a difference between hard iced tea and spiked tea?
Yes, there is a difference between the two.
Hard iced tea is brewed with sweet tea and vodka while spiked tea is made by spiking regular iced tea with alcohol.
Can tea beer make you drunk?
While it is possible to get drunk from drinking too much hard iced tea, it is not as easy as with other alcoholic beverages.
This is because iced tea has a lower alcohol content than most beers and cocktails.
What are the side effects of drinking spiked tea?
The side effects of drinking spiked tea include dehydration, dizziness, and nausea.
If you drink too much of the beverage, you may also experience a hangover.
Does hard iced tea contain more calories/carbs than beer?
Unlike average beer, twisted tea contains zero carb concentrate.
What’s more, hard iced tea packs you with fewer calories as compared to an average serving of beer.
That said, you’re less likely to gain weight after having your can of infused beer.
Is twisted tea healthier than beer?
Apart from its low calorie/carb composition, twisted tea is healthier than beer.
Recall, hard iced tea contains caffeine, a compound known to improve mental clarity.
Most importantly, the herbal teas boost general body relaxation.
A cold brew works like magic on a perfectly hot summer afternoon.
However, with a vast selection of beverage options on the market today, finding the perfect refreshment becomes an arduous responsibility to the consumer.
When laced with malt base alcohol, twisted tea is not only sweet and charming to the end-user but also offers remarkable benefits to the consumer.
Hence, it’s only wiser that you spend your money on a cheap but remarkable product today.
Twisted Tea Recipe
- 4 cups lemonade
- Ice cube pans
- 6 sprigs fresh mint and fresh mint leaves
- 8 ounces vodka
- 6 cups sweet tea
- 6 black tea bags like orange pekoe
- ½ cup sugar
- Make ice cube trays and freeze the lemonade. Cube by cube, put in a single mint leaf for at least two hours or overnight, and place in the freezer.
- Make six large glasses of lemonade iced tea. Sweet Tea should be poured over the ice cubes, and vodka should be poured over them. Straws and sprigs of mint can be added towards the end.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a rolling boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Turn off the heat and place the tea bags when ready to serve. After five minutes of steeping, strain the tea and discard the bags. Dissolve the sugar by stirring it in. Make a strong cup of tea with this.
- The tea mixture should be added to an ice-filled pitcher. Add another 4 cups of water to the mix to complete it. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to a week, covered.