These butternut squash fritters taste amazing, and as always with me, are easy and quick to make in a toaster oven. I love these fritters for breakfast with some sour cream. They are also a great way to sneak veggies onto the plates of your picky eaters – and make sure to prepare a big stack of them, because it’s impossible to eat just one.
- 5 cups butternut squash, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 2/3 cup flour (we used white whole wheat)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Lightly grease the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded butternut squash, eggs, minced sage, salt and pepper. Fold in flour and add more if needed in order to hold fritters together.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat, and heat until the oil sizzles when a drop of water is added. Drop 1/4 cup of the mixture at a time, making sure to keep the fritters at least 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping them once midway through. They are ready when both sides are nicely browned and they are cooked through. Serve hot or cold with a dollop of vegan sour cream, or your favourite dipping sauce.
PS. I got the initial idea from this article.