In Summer, there’s nothing better than a scoop of cold, creamy Rocky Road ice cream.
This flavor is classic because it combines chocolate, nuts, and marshmallows perfectly.
Whether making it from scratch or picking up a pint at the store, Rocky Road is always a good choice.
If you’re looking for a Rocky Road ice cream recipe, you’ve come to the right place.
This classic flavor is easy to make at home, and it’s always a hit with kids and adults alike.
We’ll show you how to make it from scratch using simple ingredients.
You can also find store-bought Rocky Road ice cream tips if you’re short on time.
Follow the simple instructions below, and you’ll have a delicious batch of Rocky Road Ice Cream in no time!
How to Make Rocky Road Ice Cream?
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (we like almonds or peanuts)
- 1/2 cup marshmallows
Why does Whole milk work?
Whole milk gives the ice cream a rich and creamy flavor while helping prevent it from getting too hard when frozen.
Whole milk is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium, phosphorus, and vitamin A.
Heavy cream is a crucial ingredient in ice cream, as it helps to give the final product a smooth and creamy texture.
Heavy cream is also higher in fat than milk, which helps to keep the ice cream from melting too quickly.
Sugar is essential for sweetening ice cream and helping it to freeze properly.
When making ice cream, it’s essential to use granulated sugar to dissolve quickly in the milk.
A pinch of salt is added to the ice cream to help balance out the sweetness.
It also helps to prevent the ice cream from freezing too hard.
The egg yolks are responsible for giving the ice cream its rich and creamy texture.
Be sure to use fresh egg yolks for the best results.
Vanilla extract is used to add flavor to the ice cream.
You can use either artificial or natural vanilla extract.
Chocolate chips are a classic addition to Rocky Road ice cream.
They add a delicious chocolate flavor and a nice crunch.
What is the Best Way to Melt Chocolate Chips?
The best way to melt chocolate chips is in a double boiler.
This method prevents the chocolate from burning or becoming grainy.
To make a double boiler, fill a saucepan with about an inch of water and set a heat-proof bowl on top.
Place the chocolate chips in the bowl and set the pan over low heat.
Stir the chocolate until it is melted and smooth.
Nuts are another classic addition to Rocky Road ice cream.
We like to use almonds or peanuts, but you can use any type of nut that you like.
Marshmallows are a must in Rocky Road ice cream!
They add a sweet flavor and a fluffy texture.
Step By Step Instructions
1. Heat the milk, cream, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. After then, constantly stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
2. Whisk together the egg yolks and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
3. Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
4. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, constantly stirring, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, nuts, and marshmallows.
6. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- If you don’t have a double boiler, you can melt the chocolate chips in the microwave.
- Put the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat them high for 30 seconds. Stir, then heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Repeat until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- To make store-bought Rocky Road ice cream even better, add a scoop of this homemade Rocky Road ice cream to it!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- For a fun twist on Rocky Road ice cream, try adding a layer of brownie batter or chocolate cake to the bottom of the dish before freezing.
- If you don’t like nuts, you can leave them out of the recipe.
- Add a few drops of peppermint extract to the ice cream mixture for a minty twist.
- If you want a chocolatey Rocky Road ice cream, try using dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, add a layer of caramel or fudge to the bottom of the dish before freezing.
What is the white stuff on the rocky road?
The white stuff is most likely marshmallow, a candy made from sugar, corn syrup, egg whites, and gelatin.
It is often used in desserts like Rocky Road because it is fluffy and sweet.
Marshmallows are traditionally made by boiling sugar and water, then adding gelatin and whipping the mixture until it forms a sticky foam.
The foam is then molded, cooled, and cut into pieces.
Store-bought marshmallows are often made with different ingredients, like tapioca or potato starch, instead of gelatin.
Is Rocky Road ice cream a mixture?
Rocky Road ice cream is a mixture of different flavors and ingredients.
The most common flavors are chocolate, nuts, and marshmallows, but there are many variations of Rocky Road ice cream.
Some recipes include brownie batter, chocolate cake, caramel or fudge, mint extract, or dark chocolate chips.
Are there peanuts in Rocky Road ice cream?
Depending on the recipe, there may be peanuts in Rocky Road ice cream.
Peanuts are a common ingredient in Rocky Road because they add a crunchy texture and a nutty flavor.
However, some people are allergic to peanuts, so it is essential to check the ingredients list before eating Rocky Road ice cream.
If you are allergic to peanuts, you can try using other types of nuts like almonds, cashews, or pecans.
You can also leave the nuts out of the recipe altogether.
Rocky Road Ice Cream Recipe: The Best Way To Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
- Heat the milk, cream, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. After then, constantly stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and vanilla extract in a separate bowl.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, constantly stirring, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, nuts, and marshmallows.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.