Cooking a tasty treat can be a hassle, and most people struggle to make a thick and creamy rice pudding.
Don’t despair; this recipe is easy to follow and will give you creamy comfort food.
The pudding is a tasty breakfast, afternoon, or dinner snack.
It can be served hot or cold depending on preference.
The recipe uses all types of rice, but some types are creamier.
For example, arborio rice is a short grain with high-fat content.
It yields a sticky and creamy rice pudding.
Some varieties of rice you can use for this recipe include; basmati rice, instant rice, jasmine rice, arborio rice, and Calrose rice.
You can also use leftover Chinese rice to make this tasty pudding.
A brief history of Kozy shack rice pudding recipe
A bread delivery man named Vincent Gruppuso founded Kozy Shack in 1967 after finding he liked pudding more than sliced bread.
He bought the kozy shack rice pudding recipe from Cozy Shack deli and started selling the pudding from the back of his delivery truck.
After purchasing the recipe, he realized he was onto something and decided to hustle his way into retail stores.
A colleague named Sam Walton fuelled his entrance into the retail space by featuring his products in Sam’s Club.
He is the founder of Walmart and Sam’s Club.
After being featured in Sam’s Club, Gruppuso went to every Sam’s Club store opening and invited customers to try Kozy Shack’s rice puddings.
The club stores paved the way for its nationwide distribution.
Due to its expansion, Land O’Lakes acquired Kozy Shack from the Gruppuso in 2012.
Ingredients for the kozy shack rice pudding recipe
●5 cups of whole milk
●1 cup of rice ( long or short grain)
●2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
●1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
●¼ teaspoon of salt
●½ teaspoon of cinnamon
●2 large eggs
●1 cup of heavy cream
●1 cup of sugar
●2 strawberries chopped in half
How to cook the kozy shack rice pudding
1.Bring 1 ½ cups of water to a rolling boil, and stir the rice into the saucepan. Put the cooker on a low heat setting, cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
2.Add 5 cups of whole milk, the cooked rice, butter, vanilla extract, salt, and 1 cup of sugar in a different saucepan. Stir the ingredients together and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Cook until the mixture is thick.
3.Before the pudding finishes cooking, beat your eggs in a bowl. Take 1 cup of the almost cooked pudding and slowly add it to the eggs while stirring. We are tempering the eggs to prevent clumping in our pudding.
4.Add the eggs and pudding mixture to the rest of the pudding. Put the cooker on a low setting, and stir while adding 1 cup of heavy cream.
5.Serve the pudding in small bowls with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and lay halves of the strawberries on each serving.
If you want to enjoy it cold, chill the rice pudding for 3 hours while covered before serving.
Tips for cooking your kozy shack rice pudding
1.Prevent clumping in the pudding by mixing the beaten eggs with a cup of almost cooked rice pudding. It tempers your mixture and ensures the egg does not clump when added to the cooking pudding.
2.To get a thick consistency on your rice pudding, reduce the heat to a low or medium setting and stir frequently. Set a timer for 5 minutes to keep the stirring consistent.
3.Different types of rice produce different results with the kozy shack rice pudding recipe. For example;
●Basmati rice separates easily and gives the pudding a nutty and aromatic smell.
●Jasmine rice gives the pudding flowery tones and a sticky texture.
●Arborio rice is short grain with high-fat content. It gives the pudding a creamy texture and a sticky consistency.
How to store the kozy shack rice pudding
1. Cool your rice pudding by either leaving it in the refrigerator overnight before resuming the storing process or putting it in a large bowl to cool it in ice water.
2. Once cooled, portion out the rice pudding into servings you or your family can comfortably finish in one or two sittings.
3. Put your portions in airtight containers, and place a plastic wrap on the container before covering. It helps prevent freezer burn.
4. Using masking tape and a marker pen, label the containers with the date and contents. This step helps you keep track of the period the rice pudding has been in storage.
5. Place your containers in the freezer and enjoy them within three months.
Health benefits of kozy shack rice pudding
The rice pudding contains:
1. Essential vitamins such as B1, B12, A, D, E, and K.- These are vital for maintaining optimum brain health, reproduction health, and blood health.
2. Calcium, magnesium, iodine, and zinc minerals – Calcium is vital for bone growth, while iodine helps improve metabolism and zinc increases your immunity strength.
3. Fiber from whole grain rice – According to Healthy Eating, the recommended daily intake for men and women is 25 g and 38 g, respectively. The rice pudding provides 6% of the daily intake value. Fiber is essential in the digestion process; it optimizes the function of friendly bacteria in the gut.
Why isn’t my rice pudding thickening?
Try putting the cooker on the medium heat setting, and stir the mixture every 10 minutes to ensure it thickens.
Consider adding more cream to the pudding to improve its consistency.
Is the kozy shack rice pudding recipe healthy?
Yes, the rice pudding recipe is healthy.
Its ingredients contain vitamins such as B1, B12, A, D, E, and K.
These vitamins are responsible for maintaining optimum brain health, reproduction health, and blood health.
How long does the kozy shack rice pudding last in the refrigerator?
The rice pudding will last for four days in the refrigerator after cooking.
To store it longer, consider freezing the pudding in small portions.
Is the kozy shack rice pudding dairy-free?
No, the kozy shack rice pudding recipe uses whole milk and cream in preparation.
If lactose intolerant, you can alternate the whole milk and cream for lactose-free milk.
Can I heat kozy shack pudding after freezing it?
Add some cinnamon after heating to make it tastier.
The kozy shack rice pudding recipe produces quality and creamy snacks.
It tastes like or even better than the store-bought kozy shack rice pudding.
Get creative with the dessert topping to make it tastier.
Enjoy the sensational creamy taste with friends and family.
Kozy Shack Rice Pudding Recipe
- Bring 1 ½ cups of water to a rolling boil, and stir the rice into the saucepan. Put the cooker on a low heat setting, cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 5 cups of whole milk, the cooked rice, butter, vanilla extract, salt, and 1 cup of sugar in a different saucepan. Stir the ingredients together and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Cook until the mixture is thick.
- Before the pudding finishes cooking, beat your eggs in a bowl. Take 1 cup of the almost cooked pudding and slowly add it to the eggs while stirring. We are tempering the eggs to prevent clumping in our pudding.
- Add the eggs and pudding mixture to the rest of the pudding. Put the cooker on a low setting, and stir while adding 1 cup of heavy cream.
- Serve the pudding in small bowls with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and lay halves of the strawberries on each serving.