Garlic is a staple ingredient in many recipes.
It adds a spicy, aromatic, and savory flavor that is hard to resist.
However, this droll-worth potential can go to a drain if you don’t know how to make the correct measurements.
You may know how to measure your ingredients in grams or kilograms, but there is a dilemma about garlic measurement.
So, how many tablespoons of garlic are in a clove?
There are 3 tablespoons of garlic in a clove.
However, the number may change depending on the size of the clove, whether it is fresh or dry, minced, crushed, juiced, granulated, or chopped.
It’s crucial to consider that garlic is a plant that grows in different sizes; hence use this standard as a guide.
Everybody prepares and cooks a meal hoping that it turns out as expected.
However, a simple mistake in measurement can spoil an entire meal.
Therefore, knowing how many tablespoons of garlic are in clove is vital.
This article will look into tips to peel garlic, whether to adjust conversion rates and how many tablespoons of garlic are in the clove under different states.
How many tablespoons of garlic paste are in a clove?
One clove has about 1.5 tablespoons of garlic paste.
To make garlic paste, use fresh garlic cloves.
You can follow the procedure below to make homemade garlic paste.
- Chop or crush the garlic cloves to expose their layers, allowing them to be peeled more easily later.
- Place the chopped garlic into a food processor and process until it become a smooth paste (you may need to do this in batches). Otherwise, you can use a mortar and pestle instead of a food processor.
How many tablespoons of crushed garlic are in a clove?
Crushed garlic cloves make 1 ½ tablespoon.
To crush garlic;
- Cut off the clove’s top third (or so) with your knife.
- Place the flat side of your knife on top of one half of the clove, then press down firmly with your other hand until it cracks open and breaks into two pieces (or into five sections if it’s large).
- Repeat with all four sides until all three-quarters are broken into pieces about an inch long (about 1/4 inch thick).
How many tablespoons of granulated garlic are in a clove?
There is 1 ⅓ tablespoon of granulated garlic in a clove.
It is made using dried cloves to peel the paper cover and remove the cloves.
Then, use a dehydrator or an oven to dry it.
Once dried, place the cloves in a spice grinder or blender.
Grind until it reaches your desired texture.
It shouldn’t be too fine, but rather a sand-like consistency.
Otherwise, if you don’t have a spice grinder or blender, you can grind by hand using a mortar.
How many tablespoons of garlic flakes are in a clove?
To make garlic flakes, you can use this procedure.
They can be used as a substitute for chopped garlic rather than minced because they have the same size.
There is 1 ½ tablespoon of garlic flakes in a clove.
- Peel the garlic and remove the cloves.
- Chop them to a size that’s not more than ⅛ inch
- Dehydrate using a dehydrator at 66 degrees c/150 F for 6-8 hours in areas with high humidity and 4-6 hours in low humid areas. Otherwise, you can dehydrate using an oven at 55-66 degrees C/130-150F.
How many tablespoons of garlic juice are in a clove?
There is 1 ½ tablespoon of garlic juice in a clove.
Though garlic juice is not widely used, it is essential to know its measurement in case you come across a recipe that needs it.
You can blend peeled cloves or use a juice extractor to make them.
How many tablespoons of garlic salt are in a clove?
Garlic salt is granulated garlic that’s added salt.
It is popular and preferred in many recipes over fresh garlic.
There is 1 ½ tablespoon of garlic salt in a clove.
You must be mindful of the salt you add when using garlic salt.
Otherwise, your food will have a salt overdo.
To avoid adding too much, putting the garlic before the recommended salt in the recipe is advisable.
Then, taste to determine the amount you should add.
How many tablespoons of garlic powder are in a clove?
There is ⅖ tablespoon of garlic powder.
Otherwise, you can measure using a teaspoon instead.
One clove equals ⅛ teaspoons of garlic powder; therefore, use 3 teaspoons because one teaspoon makes 3 tablespoons.
To make garlic powder, follow the following instructions;
- Remove the cloves from the garlic head. Peel off the paper-like cover. If you have sensitive skin, consider wearing food preparation gloves because the natural garlic oil may trigger an allergic reaction.
- Slice the cloves into thin pieces. Try to make them as thin as possible because thinner pieces will quicken their drying process. On the contrary, you can use dehydrator tray liners to chop the cloves into small bits.
- Dehydrate the garlic using a dehydrator or an oven. Put your thinly sliced garlic in the dehydrator trays when using a dehydrator. Turn it on at 100-110 F. This is the ideal temperature to avoid overheating, thus cooking id and destroying enzymes. If you want to dry it faster, you can set a temperature of 130 F. when using an oven, spread the garlic in a baking pan, then cover it with parchment paper. Dry at 140 F until it becomes fully crunchy.
- Check readiness by ensuring that they are scorched. If they retain moisture, it will cause clumping in the storage container.
- Grind using a blender, coffee grinder, or food processor until you achieve a fine powder.
- Sift off the larger particles by pouring the ground garlic in a sift or a fine-mesh strainer.
Tips that will make garlic peeling easier
- Peel the garlic clove under running water. It will help avoid allergic reactions from garlic juices, and water will wash them off.
- Use a broad knife to crush the unpeeled garlic gently. Nevertheless, you should crush moderately because too much crushing will make peeling difficult.
- To loosen the paper cover for easier peeling, use two bowls. Put the garlic cloves in one bowl, then cover. Shake until they loosen up.
How many cloves are in a garlic head?
There is no specific number of cloves in garlic.
It depends on the variety of garlic.
Larger garlic heads have fewer cloves that range between 10-14.
If smaller, they’ll produce fewer cloves which may be more than 20.
Can I add or reduce the amount of tablespoon to cloves when cooking?
Yes, you can slightly change it.
Garlic has no uniformity because it grows in different sizes.
Therefore, when a recipe requires 3 tablespoons aren’t enough from a clove, then you should taste.
The ratios given are the standard of average-sized garlic.
Then, add or reduce depending on your preference and taste.
These precise measurements will help you know the rough estimate of garlic required.
Does it matter whether garlic is minced or chopped?
Yes, it matters.
When cooking, the minced garlic produces a concentrated flavor for your dish.
The reason is that the minced granules spread evenly in your food.
Moreover, it releases lots of juice during the mincing process, hence more flavor.
The minced garlic from a jar may not have the same robust and spicy flavor as fresh minced garlic.
Thus, you will need to add more minced garlic to achieve the same taste.
However, to have a rough estimate of the minced garlic required, begin with the conversion measurement first.
A Well-seasoned garlic meal is mouthwatering, and your family and friends will keep coming for more.
We hope this article has answered your question on how many tablespoons are in a clove.
You can cook confidently without fearing over or under-spicing your dish with garlic.
Remember that adding or reducing the tablespoon-to-clove conversion is okay, depending on the clove size.
Is there a difference between jarred garlic and fresh garlic?
No, the content is the same.
The difference is that jarred garlic is ready-made for you, while fresh garlic is self-made.
However, fresh garlic can have more flavor than jarred garlic when cooked.
How long does garlic last in the fridge?
Garlic cloves can last up to one week in the fridge while chopped garlic can only last for a day.
To make chopped garlic stay longer in the refrigerator, you should cover it with olive oil, lasting up to 3 days.
Can you freeze garlic?
Yes, you can freeze garlic by putting them in an airtight container, freezer bag, or a mason jar designed for freezing.
You can freeze either chopped, minced, crushed, or peeled cloves.
They can last for one month in the freezer.
How do I dry garlic in the sun to make powder?
Use clean cotton clothing or a plastic sheet and spread your chopped garlic on them.
Ensure they don’t lay on each other, then expose them to direct sun.
They should dry in 4-5 days if the sun is consistent.