- Subway Sauces Recipes You Can Try At Home - June 2, 2022
- Slow Cooker Potatoes Recipe - June 2, 2022
- Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets No Breading - June 2, 2022
In this post, I list various kinds of food that begin with the letter X.
See the whole food dictionary!
An aromatic Indian curry.
This curry is cooked with lamb, chicken, or beef.
The meat is flavored with coconut, red chili peppers, and white poppy seeds.
The coconut is used shredded to thicken the texture of the dish.
This is a classic recipe from the Goa region.
A strong-flavored punch made combining black tea, rum, red wine and apple brandy.
The mixture is sweetened with honey and sugar, and mixed in a punch bowl filled with ice.
This flavorful punch is served garnished with diced oranges and lemons.
Xampinyons En Salsa
An easily prepared meal with mushrooms as the main ingredient.
It is made by cooking a sauce using onions, garlic, tomato puree, and sherry wine, and then adding in the mushrooms, allowing them to simmer until soft.
These flavorful mushrooms pair well with chicken, vegetables, or pasta.
The name of the dish is translated as ‘’mushrooms in sauce’’.
An old-fashioned cocktail made of equal parts of gin, chartreuse, and cherry brandy.
It is served in a chilled cocktail glass.
The recipe for this drink recipe dates back to the 1920s.
An Italian soup made of Parmesan dumplings served in chicken stock.
The soup was inspired by Saint Francis Xavier, a Spanish missionary from the 16th century, and it is traditionally served during the feast of Saint Francis.
These little dumplings are made of batter seasoned with nutmeg and cinnamon and enriched with heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
They are boiled in salty water until soft and then transferred to the chicken stock in which they and served.
This is a dish composed of steak, asparagus, and Swiss cheese.
The steak and asparagus are seasoned and cooked together.
Once done, the dish is served by placing asparagus on top of the steak and adding the cheese so it slowly melts on the warm vegetable.
It is believed that the dish was invented in New York at the early beginning of the 19th century.
Xcatik Chile Pepper
Long, yellow chili pepper originally cultivated in Yucatan, Mexico.
This is a hot, spicy pepper used to add flavor to traditional Yucatan meals.
It is most commonly used whole, cooked in a dish without being sliced or peeled.
The xcatic peppers are often used in stews, soups, and seafood meals.
A dish made from corn flour as the main ingredient.
The additional ingredients can vary according to the origin of the recipe.
Xerem is traditionally prepared in Cape Verde (mixed with butter and salt or tuna, onions, and cocoa milk), Brazil (made with dried corn kernels), or Portugal (combined with ham, bacon, and clams).
Xiao Long Bao
Small steamed buns, prepared in a bamboo steaming basket named Xiaolin.
They are also referred to as soup dumplings because they are traditionally served with soup.
They can be made of leavened dough or unleavened dough which is made by mixing the dough with water.
They are originally filled with pork, but other meats or seafood can be used instead.
Xi Gua Lao
A Chinese dessert traditionally made in Beijing cuisine.
Xi Gua Lao recipe starts by making a sugar syrup flavored with vanilla, and thickened with agar.
Next, watermelon is mashed into a juice, while cherries are thinly sliced.
The fruit is mixed with syrup and served cool.
The name of this dessert translated as ‘’watermelon jelly’’ refers to its firm, jelly-like consistency.
A traditional Chinese soup made of peameal seasoned with coriander, ginger, and dry chili, mixed with garlic, spring onion, and Sichuan pepper oil.
This dish can be most commonly found in Yunnan province in southwest China, where it is usually served with bread or a traditional deep-fried dough named youtiao.
A sun-dried shrimp used in Asian cuisine to add an umami flavor.
The dried shrimp differs in taste from the fresh one.
It is sweet and more intense in flavor.
Xia mi can be added to soups, fried rice, rice noodles and other traditional meals to enrich their flavor.
Xia mi is and important ingredient in East Asian, South Asian and Southeast Asian dishes.
A type of watermelon cultivated in China as a member of the squash family.
It is composed of soft, juicy flesh and unedible tough, yellow, or green skin.
Xigua is smaller in size than regular watermelons.
It has a small number of seeds which is why it is known as the ‘’non-seed watermelon’’.
This type of watermelon is high in water content and rich in vitamin A, C, and B5, and potassium.
Gelatin dessert made of kernel or apricot milk.
It is often sweetened with sugar.
This is a Chinese dessert, particularly popular in Beijing.
A type of grapes cultivated in Greece which are used for wine production.
Xinomavro wine has a reputation as one of the top-quality wines commercially sold in this country.
These grapes have a dark purple color and are a very intense and sour flavor.
They are also known as Vitis vinifera.
Traditional Yucatán spicy salsa made of tomatoes, onion, Habanero pepper, and orange.
It is seasoned with salt, orange, and lime juice.
This salsa has a fresh, citrusy aroma combined with the hot flavor of spicy Habanero.
It is similar to pico de gallo salsa.
A spicy Chinese sauce made from dried scallops and shrimps, red chili, cured ham, and garlic.
It is seasoned with canola oil.
The xo sauce is especially popular in southern China, often paired with cooked rice, eggs, meat, or dumplings.
The name of the original chocolate made by ancient Aztecs.
At the time it was in a form of a bitter hot chocolate seasoned with hot chili peppers.
Xocolati is supposed to be very spicy and strong, nothing like the sweet hot chocolate made around the world today.
This is a small pear-shaped cactus fruit, native to Central Mexico.
It has juicy flesh but very sour and tart in flavor.
For this reason, it is mostly used preserved in jams and chutneys, or cooked in sauces.
Xiao Long Bao
- 1 sauce pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- Parchment paper
- 1 steamer basket
- 300 g chicken minced
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 600 g all-purpose flour
- 15 g gelatin powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 340 ml water warm
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- ginger sliced
1. Prepare aspic (jelly with meat stock)
- Heat the stock in a saucepan until it comes to a boil, then add the gelatin in batches and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour into a cooling tray or container to cool.
2. Chill and chop up aspic
- Place the aspic in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Cut the aspic into small cubes once it has firmed up.
3. Prepare the meat filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine minced chicken, egg, 12 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons light soy sauce, minced ginger, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, and chopped aspic. Place aside.
4. Prepare the dough
- 12 teaspoon salt in 340 mL warm water
- To make a soft dough, combine flour and salted water.
- Knead the dough with 1 tablespoon oil. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and set it aside in a warm place to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Knead dough
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking, until the dough is soft, smooth, and slightly sticky.
- Cut the dough into four equal pieces. Roll out dough with your palms to make long ropes, working with one piece at a time and covering the others with plastic wrap.
6. Flatten dough to make dumpling wrapper
- Divide the dough into 20 g balls and roll out to a 6 cm diameter with a rolling pin.
7. Stuff and fold the dumpling
- Spoon 12 to 1 tbsp filling in the center of the dumpling wrapper
- Gently pull and stretch the wrapper outward with one hand’s fingertips before bringing it in to meet opposite fingers.
- Fold the stretched area in on itself carefully to form a pleat. Pinch the pleat to seal it, and repeat until the dumpling is completely sealed.
- Place the dumplings on top of the parchment paper in the steamer basket. 15 to 20 minutes of steaming
- 1 tbsp black vinegar and finely sliced ginger in a sauce dish Dumplings should be served in a steamer basket with dipping sauce on the side.