Whether it’s for decoration or practicality, no one ever said they didn’t like wine.
If you’re someone who loves wine and wants to display your collection, you’ve probably noticed how difficult it is to find a nice way to showcase your favorite bottles.
It doesn’t have to be an expensive investment either, as long as you know what you’re doing.
Why do you want to make a wine rack?
Wine racks are great because they give any space a little more character.
They offer a great look, especially when you add a touch of color with a piece of fabric, paint, or wallpaper.
You can also put them anywhere in your house, including your bathroom or kitchen.
They are easy enough to make so anyone can do it.
What materials will you need to make a wine rack?
First, you’ll need a few basics — wood, screws, nails, glue, painter’s tape, and a router (optional).
You will also need a drill, hammer, saw, stain, sandpaper, and primer if you choose to coat your finished product.
In addition, you’ll need a power drill/driver, a circular saw, a table saw, a miter box, and a drill press (if you want to go this route).
What tools will you need to make a wine rack?
- Miter box
- Table saw
- Circular saw
- Drill press
How much wine will your wine rack need to hold?
The amount of wine you decide to store in your wine rack depends on your choice of storage method.
Some people opt to use glass shelves which can hold up to eight wine bottles, while others prefer wire shelving which can hold up to eight wine bottles.
What size wine rack do you want to make?
In order to figure out what size wine rack you want to make, you’ll need to take into consideration both of your wine storage needs.
If you want to keep your wine in glass bottles, you should make your wine rack at least 8 inches wide.
The ideal width is between 8-12 inches.
What shape wine rack do you want to make?
Shapes are fun, but there’s nothing wrong with having an awesome wine rack that looks good without being too fancy.
Here are a few options:
A rectangle is the ultimate classic shape, but if you want something a bit different, you can always try making your wine rack square instead.
You can also get creative with shapes by making your wine rack a square with rounded corners.
This type of wine rack is best for people who don’t like clutter or want to avoid looking like they have too much stuff.
If you like symmetry, you can turn your wine rack into an oval.
Just remember that you can only fit two rows of wine bottles in a wine rack that has an oval cross section.
If you prefer a different shape, you might consider using a wine rack made from multiple pieces of wood rather than one big slab.
For those who like a more rustic feel, you could always make your wine rack round.
This shape works well for those people who have a lot of wine and a limited space.
You can also opt for a round wine rack that features a built-in shelf underneath where you can store smaller items such as corkscrews, wine glasses, and stemware.
If you decide to make this kind of wine rack, be sure to keep them clean and dry!
What style wine rack do you want to make?
Style refers to the overall appearance of your wine rack.
There are several styles available to choose from depending on your preference.
These include traditional, transitional, modern, and contemporary.
This style of wine rack is very popular and is probably the most common.
Traditional wine racks usually feature two or three shelves and a flat top.
They are often painted white, brown, or black.
The most common types of traditional wine racks are the “English” and “French”.
If you prefer a slightly more modern look, you could opt for a transitional wine rack.
Transitional wine racks are similar to traditional ones except they typically feature four or five shelves rather than just two or three.
They also tend to have a flat top rather than a sloped top.
If you’re interested in making a transitional wine rack, you can get inspiration from a traditional wine rack.
If you’d rather skip the traditional and go straight to the cutting edge, you could opt for a modern wine rack.
Modern wine racks are sleek, smooth, and angular.
They are often painted black and come with a variety of different shapes.
For example, you can opt for a rectangular modern wine rack if you want to store wine in glass bottles or a square modern wine rack if you want to store wine in plastic bottles.
Finally, the last option is a contemporary wine rack.
Contemporary wine racks are designed to match your décor.
They look good in a home office or living room.
They tend to be painted black with a contrasting color accent to draw attention away from the main elements in the room.
How do you want to finish your wine rack?
Depending on your choice of design, finishing your wine rack can be pretty straightforward.
However, there are a few things you should keep in mind before you start working on your project.
- Use a quality wood stain. While you can easily buy pre-stained wood, it’s a good idea to check with your local hardware store to see if they sell unfinished wood. If you plan to cover your wine rack with fabric, you’ll need to prime the wood before staining. Otherwise, you can skip priming.
- Sand your wood. If you’re going to paint your wine rack, it’s important to sand your wood first. Sanding removes any roughness from your wood and makes painting easier. After you’ve sanded your wood, you can apply a second layer of primer to protect your wine rack from stains and scratches.
- Prime your wood for painting. Before you begin painting your wine rack, you’ll need to prime your wood. This helps protect your wood surface from damage such as scratches, dents, and water spots. Primer also allows you to paint over any imperfections in your wood without worrying about streaks showing through.
- Paint your wine rack. Once you’ve primed your wood, it’s time to paint your wine rack. Use a high quality exterior spray paint. When you paint your wine rack, be sure to wear gloves and safety goggles to protect yourself against splatters.
- Apply a clear sealant. Even though your wine rack is now protected, it’s still important to seal your wine rack. Sealing your wine rack protects it from moisture, prevents mold growth, and keeps dust particles from settling on your wine racks.
What are the dimensions of your wine bottles?
Before you start building your wine rack, you should take note of what size bottle you plan on storing.
Keep in mind that larger bottles require a bigger wine rack.
How many wine bottles do you want to be able to store in your wine rack?
There are plenty of ways to store your wine bottles.
One of the easiest ways to store wine bottles is to place them upright inside a tall glass jar.
Another option is to stack the wine bottles sideways in a large wooden crate.
If you want to go the extra mile, you may want to think about creating custom wine