One-bowl meals are quick to assemble and satisfying as a lunch or light dinner. Leftover cooked chicken (to replace the uncooked chicken breast) can be stirred in with the noodles. For a more Asian and spicier version, add hot or sweet chili sauce to taste.
Variation: Tofu and Noodle Bowl
Replace chicken stock with vegetable stock. Replace chicken with 1 cup (250 mL) diced firm tofu.
Chicken and Noodle Bowl from a Toaster Oven
- 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast finely diced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 cup carrot grated or finely chopped
- 2 tsp gingerroot finely chopped
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup snow peas trimmed and halved crosswise
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 3- to 3½-oz package instant noodles broken up
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro or parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- In a 6-cup (1.5 L) ovenproof bowl or an 8-inch (2 L) square ovenproof glass baking dish, combine chicken, celery, carrot, ginger, stock and soy sauce.
- Bake in preheated 400 °F (200 °С) toaster oven for 25 minutes, or until stock is very hot and bubbling at edges. Vegetables will still be very crunchy and chicken will be almost cooked.
- Carefully remove dish from oven (it will be hot). Stir in snow peas, mushrooms, green onions and noodles.
- Return to oven and continue to bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until stock is again bubbling at edges and chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove from oven and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve in soup bowls.