This is a much healthier version of coconut shrimp they have at the Outback restaurants. Or, you can use this recipe as a guide on air frying shrimp as well!
- For the breading to stick better, make sure you removed any extra liquid from shrimp. And for easy dipping, keep the shrimp tail-on!
- Fresh or frozen shrimp – it’s up to you. If you choose frozen ones, fully defrost them before frying. Either way, make sure you peel and devein shrimp and pat them dry.
- Don’t forget to preheat your air fryer before adding in shrimp.
- To ensure even cooking, cook shrimp in few batches.
- This air fried shrimp can be a delicious addition to pasta, rice, fresh salad or spicy taco.
Air Fryer Spicy Coconut Shrimp
For the Shrimp:
- In a large bowl mix flour with garlic powder, onion powder and chili powder. Whisk the eggs in another bowl and season with salt and pepper. In the third bowl combine panko bread crumbs with coconut flakes.
- Holding each shrimp by the tail, dip in the flour mix. Shake off excess and then dip in the eggs. Finally, dredge in the mix of bread crumbs and coconut, making sure all sides are covered evenly.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200 °C).
- Spray the air fryer basket with oil and add a layer of shrimp. Lightly spray shrimp also and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Flip shrimp over, spray again with oil and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- While shrimp is cooling, prepare easy tomato dip. In a large mixing bowl combine tomato purée with finely chopped fresh tomatoes. Add minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. Mix and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Remove shrimp from the air fryer and serve in a plate with a bowl of tomato dip. Enjoy!