This recipe is for the fans of the book!
PS. You might read this and think that tomatoes won’t go together with chocolate. Trust me – in this case, they do.
Thunder Cake Baked in a Toaster Oven
For the cake:
For the Frosting:
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease and flour two round pans.
- Separate eggs in two medium size bowls. Beat egg whites until they are stiff. Blend egg yolks and add in shortening, sugar, water, tomato puree and vanilla extract. Combine well and then slowly add the egg whites.
- In a separate bowl mix together dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt.
- Add the dry mix to the wet mix and stir until combined.
- Divide batter and pour equally into greased pans.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- For strawberry frosting beat butter with mixer for a minute and add powdered sugar. Beat for around 5 minutes. Pour in strawberries and vanila extract and mix well.
- In a small saucepan, combine the bittersweet chocolate and butter and cook over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Frost the cake with chocolate buttercream and cover with melted chocolate. Top with some strawberries or berry of your choice!