It’s well-known that a glass of warm milk before bed can help you sleep, but did you know that tart cherry juice can too?
Tart cherry juice is full of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate your body’s sleep cycle.
So if you’re finding it hard to fall asleep at night or wake up in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep, try drinking a small glass of tart cherry juice before bed.
When I was younger, I had trouble sleeping. I would lie in bed for hours, tossing and turning, never feeling rested the next day.
A friend of mine told me about tart cherry juice and how it could help me sleep better.
After a few nights of drinking tart cherry juice before bed, I slept soundly through the night and woke up refreshed in the morning.
If you’re looking for a natural way to improve your sleep, try tart cherry juice.
This recipe is for a small glass of tart cherry juice, but you can easily double or triple the recipe to make a larger batch.
Here are a few reasons why one should drink tart cherry juice before bed:
1. Tart cherry juice is full of melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate your body’s sleep cycle.
2. Drinking tart cherry juice before bed can help you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly through the night.
3. Waking up at night and can’t get back to sleep, try drinking a small glass of tart cherry juice before bed.
4. After a few nights of drinking tart cherry juice before bed, you will feel more refreshed in the morning.
5. Tart cherry juice is a natural way to improve your sleep without medication.
Thus, let’s dive into the recipe:
Cherry: Cherry will help to give a natural sweetness to the drink, which can be perfect for those who want to avoid adding sugar. You can use any type of cherry for this recipe, but I prefer tart cherries because they have more health benefits.
Water: You’ll need water to dilute the cherry juice, so it’s not too concentrated. You can also use sparkling water for a refreshing twist.
Lemon: The lemon adds a bit of tartness to the drink and helps balance out the cherries’ sweetness. You can omit the lemon if you don’t like tart drinks.
Honey: Honey is optional, but it can help to make the drink more palatable if you find the cherry flavor too strong. You can also use agave nectar or maple syrup as a natural sweetener.
1. Start by juicing the cherries. You can blend the cherries and strain them through a fine-mesh strainer if you don’t have a juicer.
2. Add water to the cherry juice and stir to combine.
3. Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir again.
4. add honey to taste and stir until combined.
5. Pour into a glass and drink immediately. You can also store the cherry juice in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Enjoy your tart cherry juice, and get a good night’s sleep!
1. If you don’t have fresh cherries, you can use frozen cherries. Just thaw them before juicing or blending.
2. You can also buy tart cherry juice at the store, but check the label to ensure it doesn’t have any added sugar.
3. This recipe makes one small glass of tart cherry juice, but you can easily double or triple the recipe if you want to make a larger batch.
4. If you find the cherry flavor too strong, you can add more water or sparkling water to dilute it.
5. You can also add a splash of vodka to the drink for a Cherry Vodka Nightcap. Just be sure to drink responsibly!
Have you ever tried tart cherry juice?
What did you think of it?
Let me know in the comments below!
What are some of the Health Benefits?
Tart cherry juice is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
These nutrients can help protect your cells from damage and reduce inflammation throughout the body.
Some research has shown that tart cherry juice can also help to improve sleep quality, lower blood pressure, and boost brain health.
So drinking tart cherry juice before bed helps you sleep better, but it can also provide other health benefits.
Tart cherry juice is also a natural source of melatonin.
Melatonin is a hormone that helps to regulate sleep-wake cycles.
A small study showed that tart cherry juice increased melatonin levels in the body and improved sleep quality.
Here are some of the other health benefits of tart cherry juice:
- May improve sleep quality
- May lower blood pressure
- May boost brain health
- It is a natural source of melatonin
- It is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
Thus, drinking tart cherry juice provides you with a good night’s sleep and has many other health benefits.
What to serve with this juice?
You can also serve this juice with a light snack, such as some fresh berries or a slice of whole-grain toast.
If you want a more filling drink, you can add protein powder to the cherry juice.
This will help to keep you feeling full and provides some extra nutrients.
You can also turn this into a smoothie by adding frozen cherries, milk, and yogurt to the blender.
This makes a great breakfast or snack option.
- Calories: 107
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 5mg
- Potassium: 327mg
- Carbohydrates: 25.5g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Sugar: 20.6g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 29%
- Calcium: 3%
- Iron: 5%
The nutritional information for this recipe is an estimate only and may vary depending on the ingredients you use.
There are mainly 3 ways to store homemade cherry juice: canning, freezing, and refrigeration.
Canning is the best option if you want to store cherry juice for a long time.
This method will help preserve the nutritional value and flavor of the cherry juice.
To can the cherry juice, sterilize the jars and lids by boiling them in water for 10 minutes.
Then, fill the jars with cherry juice, leaving about ½ inch of headspace at the top—screw on the lids and process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.
Once the jars have cooled, store them in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.
If you don’t want to can the cherry juice, you can also freeze it.
This is a good option if you want to store the juice for a few months.
To freeze the cherry juice, pour it into freezer-safe containers, leaving about ½ inch of headspace at the top.
Seal the containers and store them in the freezer for 6 months.
Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight when you’re ready to use the frozen cherry juice.
You can also store cherry juice in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
However, this option is not recommended as the quality of the cherry juice will decrease over time.
Thanks for reading! I hope you will give this tart cherry juice recipe a try.
Let me know what you think of it in the comments below.
Are there any other health benefits?
I would love to hear your thoughts.
Also, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Tart Cherry Juice
- 1 large-sized blender
- 1 Cherry
- 1 Water
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Honey
- Start by juicing the cherries. You can blend the cherries and strain them through a fine-mesh strainer if you don’t have a juicer.
- Add water to the cherry juice and stir to combine.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir again.
- add honey to taste and stir until combined.
- Pour into a glass and drink immediately. You can also store the cherry juice in the fridge for up to 24 hours.