Fudge is one of those desserts that people love to make because they know it’ll taste great.
However, once you start making it, you might find yourself wondering how long fudge will last.
How long does fudge last?
The shelf life of fudge depends on the ingredients used.
While some types of fudge may have a short shelf life (like chocolate fudge), others can last longer than six months.
For example, peanut butter fudge lasts about four months while white chocolate fudge keeps for over three years.
On average, fudge will last between eight and 10 days.
That’s why it’s important to store your fudge properly so that it doesn’t go bad before you’re ready to use it.
If you want to know more about the best way to store fudge, read our article here.
How long does fudge stay fresh?
You need to keep fudge away from sunlight, heat, humidity, and moisture.
In fact, you don’t even want to leave it out at room temperature for too long.
The ideal storage conditions are below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 C) with a relative humidity of less than 50 percent.
If these conditions aren’t met, the fudge will begin to lose its flavor.
How long does fudge keep?
It takes time for fudge to reach optimal flavor and texture after being made.
Because of this, you should always try to consume your fudge as soon as possible.
Some types of fudge should be eaten within 24 hours.
Others, like caramel fudge, can remain edible for up to two weeks.
How should fudge be stored?
When storing fudge, it’s important to keep it in an airtight container.
You also want to avoid storing it in plastic containers because they tend to let in oxygen and allow the fudge to spoil faster.
Instead, wrap it in aluminum foil or place it in glass jars.
Once you do this, label the jar or package with the date and the contents inside.
Don’t forget to refrigerate the fudge when it’s not being consumed right away.
Also, never put fudge in the freezer.
This could cause the fat content to solidify, meaning that you won’t be able to enjoy it again.
How can you tell if fudge has gone bad?
A few common signs that fudge has gone bad include:
- Taste changes
- Smell changes
What are the signs that fudge has gone bad?
As mentioned above, fudge is prone to going bad quickly.
Here are some other signs that your fudge has gone bad:
- Stale-looking appearance
- Sour smell
- Flaky or crumbly texture
- Moldy texture
- Unpleasant or weird taste
- Rancid odor
Is it safe to eat fudge that has gone bad?
Yes, it is!
But just remember that food that has been sitting around for a long period of time tends to become stale.
So, if your fudge looks old or smells rancid, you should probably toss it.
What happens if you eat fudge that has gone bad?
There’s no telling what kind of health risks you could face if you eat fudge that has gone bad.
In general though, you shouldn’t eat anything that’s turned into a mold or has gone rancid.
This includes foods that have spoiled or fermented.
Can you get sick from eating bad fudge?
Even though there are plenty of reports of people getting sick from eating bad fudge, there haven’t been any confirmed cases of illness.
However, there are some things you should consider if you decide to eat something that has gone bad:
- Consult a doctor if you experience nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, chills, dizziness, or confusion.
- Consume only small amounts of fudge at a time.
- Avoid consuming dairy products.
- Do not consume raw eggs.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after handling the fudge.
How long is fudge good for?
Fudge is delicious, but it isn’t the healthiest dessert option.
Since it’s high in saturated fat, sugar, and calories, you should limit your intake to a couple pieces per day.
And if you really want to indulge, you can make your own homemade fudge.
Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge
- 1 microwave
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1.The first step is to mix the peanut butter and sugar together in a bowl. You want to make sure that the sugar is completely dissolved in the peanut butter, so use a whisk or an electric mixer if you have one.
- 2.Once the mixture is smooth, pour it into a microwave-safe dish and microwave for about 90 seconds.
- 3.After the time is up, take the dish out of the microwave and stir the fudge until it is smooth. If there are any lumps, you can put them back in the microwave for another 30 seconds.
- 4.Once the fudge is smooth, pour it into a container or mold and let it cool completely before serving.
- 5.This fudge is best served at room temperature, so if you make it ahead of time, be sure to take it out of the fridge about an hour before you want to serve it.
- 25 Easy Cool Whip Recipes - February 24, 2023
- 25 Easy Chuck Steak Recipes - February 24, 2023
- 25 Simple Camping Breakfast Ideas - February 24, 2023