You usually consider the storage duration in your pantry or countertop for fruits and vegetables. However, this is not the case for apples.
Because of their short shelf life, many people don’t even think about storing an apple for more than a day or two.
But that doesn’t mean you should throw away an apple after just one use.
In fact, there are some great ways to enjoy this delicious fruit throughout the year — especially if you have a few extra apples in your fridge right now.
We’ll show you how long an apple lasts (and what happens to those leftovers), as well as how to make the most out of your apples without spoiling them.
How long do apples last?
One of the biggest questions that pops up whenever you start talking about food is “how long does something last?”
The answer to this question depends on several factors, including the type of food item, its size, and where you decide to put it.
To help you understand how long different types of foods last, we’ve broken down each of these variables below:
- Smaller apples like Galas, for example, usually last longer because they’re less likely to go bad before they’re eaten.
- On the other hand, larger apples, like McIntosh, tend to be sweeter and therefore prone to spoil faster.
- For best results, choose an apple that’s in between these extremes.
- But if you want to take advantage of its freshness, you need to find somewhere safe to store the fruit until it goes bad.
- As mentioned above, apples don’t last very long in the refrigerator, so you won’t get much time with them there.
- Instead, choose a cooler, dry place that’s protected from light, such as a basement or garage.
- Some apples are better suited for eating raw, while others are better used in baked goods.
- To make sure you get the most out of your apple, try to match its flavor profile with the recipe you’re using it in.
- That way, you can thaw them out at a later date and use them in recipes that require frozen ingredients.
- Otherwise, you can also store them in the fridge or a cool dark place.
How long do apples stay fresh?
Once you cut into an apple, you’ll see that it has a natural skin that protects the inside of the fruit.
This outer layer contains pectin, which helps protect the fruit from bacteria and fungus.
It also gives the apple its color and texture, making the skin edible.
Once the skin starts to turn brown, however, the apple is no longer good to eat.
The shelf life of an apple varies depending on how it was stored.
For instance, apples kept in the refrigerator tend to last about three days, while those stored in a cool, dark place last seven to 10 days.
How long do apples keep?
As we said earlier, apples don’t last forever in the fridge.
They’ll still taste fine after three days, but they’re only going to last another couple of days after that.
Apples also aren’t meant to be refrigerated for longer than a week or so, so you shouldn’t expect to keep them for more than that period of time.
If you want to extend the shelf life of your apples, you can buy special packs of vacuum-sealed apples.
These packs contain multiple apples that are individually wrapped in plastic film.
When you open the pack, you’ll find a sealed bag containing the apples, along with instructions on how to properly prepare them.
How long do apples keep in the freezer?
Freezing apples isn’t really recommended unless you plan to use them in a recipe that calls for frozen ingredients.
The reason for this is because freezing causes the apples to lose moisture and become mushy.
So, unless you intend to use your apples in a casserole that requires frozen ingredients, you probably shouldn’t put them in the freezer.
How long do apples keep in a cool; dry place?
You can store apples in a cool, dry place for up to six months.
Ideally, you’d wrap a bunch of them in newspaper and store them in a corner of your closet — or anywhere else that’s cool and dry.
After a month, you can move them to a dry place in your basement or garage.
How long do apples keep in a cool; ventilated place?
You can store apples in a cool, ventilated place for up to a year.
The ideal location would be a basement or attic, where the temperature remains constant year round.
Of course, this means you’ll need access to both electricity and air conditioning.
How long do apples keep in a cool; dark place?
Apples can last for up to two years in a cool, dark place.
Again, the ideal spot is a basement or garage, where the temperature remains consistent year round.
How long do apples keep in a cool; humid place?
Humidity is not a friend when it comes to fruit.
Apples will only last about a month under humid conditions, so you might want to avoid storing them in a damp area.
How long do apples keep in a cool; wet place?
If you store apples in a cool, wet place, they’ll only last about two weeks.
Since it’s hard to control humidity in a room, you might consider keeping your apples in a cool, dry place instead.
How long do apples keep in a cool; bright place?
Apples don’t last long when exposed to sunlight.
A single apple only stays fresh for a day or two in direct sunlight, so you should always keep your apples indoors.
How long do apples last in a pie?
Apples have a short shelf life in pies because they release lots of liquid during baking.
Depending on the recipe, you may notice that your pie crust becomes soggy after a few hours or even minutes.
If you want to save your pie, you can keep your apples in the freezer until needed.
How long do apples last in a cake?
Cakes are a bit trickier when it comes to preserving freshness.
The main problem here is that cake batter tends to absorb liquid from the apples, which makes them soggy.
However, you can still use your apple slices in cakes, provided you bake them separately from the rest of the batter.
Then, you can serve them as an appetizer.
How long do apples last juiced?
Juicing apples is a great way to preserve their nutrients.
You can drink the juice yourself, or you can pasteurize the pulp and add it to smoothies or other drinks.
If you want to juice your apples, you should store them in the fridge for 24 hours before cutting them into small pieces.
Then, place the slices in a blender and blend until smooth.
Strain the mixture through cheesecloth or a coffee filter, then pour the juice into a bottle and store it in the fridge.
How long do apples last dried?
Dried apples are a popular snack for camping trips and other outdoor activities because they provide a quick source of energy.
Drying apples takes a lot of work, though,
Green Apples Frozen Yogurt Recipe
- 1 freezer
- 1/3 cup of honey
- Greek-style yogurt 500 gram
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated unpeeled apple
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 1 tablespoon of passion fruit pulp
- 150 grams of frozen raspberries
- In a small saucepan, combine the apple juice and honey. Warm the saucepan over medium heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the honey has melted. Allow the saucepan to cool for five minutes after turning off the heat.
- Sprinkle the gelatin on top of the mixture and stir to dissolve it.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the gelatin mixture, yogurt, and grated apple. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 3 hours, covered with foil.
- Remove the yogurt mixture from the refrigerator and set aside for 15 minutes before serving. Scoop it into serving dishes and top with the passion fruit pulp.
- For the syrup, use frozen raspberry yogurt instead of apple juice. Push 150 g of thawed frozen raspberries through a sieve over a small bowl. Discard the seeds later.
- Frozen mango yogurt- instead of apple juice in the syrup, use water; add 300g of thawed coarsely chopped frozen mango.