The name “cannellini” comes from the word “canna,” which means “canoe.” This is because these beans look very similar to the shape of a canoe.
These beans are also known as “white kidney beans,” but this is not their official name.
The official name for this bean is “Phaseolus vulgaris.”
What are dried cannellini beans?
This type of bean is a type of white kidney bean that is often used in Italian cuisine.
It is small, kidney-shaped, and has a creamy texture.
They are usually canned or frozen when purchased, but they can be bought in dried form, too.
They tend to be more expensive than other types of beans.
However, they also last longer on the shelf.
You can eat these beans right out of the bag, unlike most other beans.
They can also be stored at room temperature for up to six months.
Why are they dried?
Because of their size, it is difficult to find fresh cannellini beans.
Most people prefer to buy them in cans or freeze them.
Many people also purchase them dry, since it is easier to store them in this way.
This is especially true if you live in an area where it is hard to keep food fresh.
If you decide to buy your beans in dried form, then you will want to make sure that they are properly cleaned before storing them.
In order to clean them, soak them overnight in water with a little bit of salt added.
Then, rinse them thoroughly.
Dry them completely before storing them in airtight containers.
Make sure that they are kept away from heat and sunlight.
How do you cook them?
If you are cooking this bean for the first time, then it is best to go easy on it.
Start off by adding one cup of uncooked beans to two cups of boiling water.
Cook them until they become soft, about 20 minutes.
Then, drain them and serve immediately.
If you are going to cook them again, then add them back into the same amount of water.
Bring it to a boil once again, and then reduce the heat.
Simmer them for another 30 minutes.
Then, drain them and serve.
You can also cook them in a pressure cooker.
Add one cup of uncooked beans to a pressure cooker.
Pour one quart of water into the pot along with one teaspoon of salt.
Turn the heat up to high and bring the water to a boil.
Once it boils, turn down the heat and place the lid on the pot.
Pressure should build up inside the pot within 15 minutes.
Let the pressure drop, and then remove the lid.
Allow them to sit for five minutes before serving.
What do they taste like?
Once cooked, the beans will have a creamy consistency.
They have a mild flavor, so if you are looking for something spicy, then try black beans instead.
What are some common dishes that use them?
- Soups such as minestrone, ragu Bolognese, borlotti beans, and cannellini bean soup.
- Stews such as chili con carne, and meatloaf.
- Pilau rice dish.
- Pasta dishes such as pasta carbonara, ravioli, penne, macaroni and cheese, and lasagna.
- Rice dishes such as risotto, paella, and arroz con pollo.
- Salads such as frittata, egg salad, and potato salad.
Are they healthy?
Yes! Dried beans are considered a superfood.
They are full of fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, iron, calcium, and antioxidants.
Since they are low in fat, they are also considered heart-healthy.
One serving of dried beans contains around 40 calories.
One serving of fresh beans contains around 50 calories.
So, while they contain fewer calories, they also contain less sodium and cholesterol.
What are the nutritional benefits of dried cannellini beans?
Here are just some of the many health benefits that come with eating dried beans:
- High in fiber, which helps lower blood sugar levels.
- Rich source of folate, which can help prevent birth defects.
- Contain vitamin C, which can help boost immunity.
- High in potassium, which can help regulate blood pressure.
- Low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
- Helpful in weight loss efforts due to their low calorie count.
- Can help promote good digestive health.
- May help promote cardiovascular health.
- Contain plant sterols that may help decrease bad cholesterol.
- High in magnesium, which can help support bone health.
- Provide an excellent source of protein.
Are there any drawbacks to eating them?
While dried beans are extremely nutritious, they are also high in fiber and resistant starch.
Both of these things can cause gas and bloating.
In fact, eating a large bowl of beans can increase your risk of developing diverticulosis.
However, you can minimize this effect by soaking them beforehand.
Soaking the beans in warm water for 24 hours will soften the fibers and decrease the gas-producing properties.
However, you can also use a sprouting method to further reduce the presence of resistant starch.
Sprouting the beans will increase the number of beneficial bacteria in them, which will help digest the starches.
How long do they last?
Since they are dried beans, they will last much longer than canned ones.
In addition, they are low in moisture content, which means that they won’t spoil easily.
If you store your beans in a cool, dark place, then they will last for several years.
However, they will only last for six months if exposed to direct sunlight.
Where can I buy them?
You can purchase dried beans online or at your local grocery store.
Just make sure that you read the label carefully before purchasing them.
How to Make THE BEST Cannellini Beans
- 1 Slow Cooker
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 pound dried Cannellini Beans rinsed, picked over, and soaked in water by 2 inches for 8 hours up to 24 hours
- 4 cup water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- In a pot , heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant and the onions soften. Add the cannellini beans with their water and the chicken stock. Add more water to cover the beans by 3-4 inches.Add the bouquet garni or herbs on their stems with the kosher salt. After that , Bring to a boil in water. Skim off the foam and discard. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook at a gentle simmer for about 2 hours. Add more water if needed to keep the beans submerged.
- After delicious Cannellini beans are cooked to your desired tenderness, remove them from the heat. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed. Serve immediately and refrigerate the leftover beans in their cooking liquid for up to 1 week.