Watermelon is one of nature’s most refreshing fruits.
It’s juicy, sweet and loaded with nutrients.
But does watermelon go bad?
Let’s take a look at how long watermelons last and what goes wrong when they do.
How long does watermelon last?
The shelf life for watermelons varies from fruit to fruit.
Watermelons are generally considered fresh if they have no signs of spoilage or mold on them.
However, they should be stored in the refrigerator, not the freezer.
The best temperature for storing watermelons is between 45 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit (7 and 13 degrees Celsius).
If you purchase watermelons that aren’t quite ripe, you may want to put them in the fridge right away, but they still won’t necessarily go bad overnight.
Watermelons ripen as they sit, so you don’t need to rush them into the fridge just yet.
How do you store watermelon?
You can store your watermelons in the refrigerator, but doing so will make them less juicy and less flavorful.
This is because the cold temperatures cause the sugars to crystallize out of the melon.
If you’re looking for a way to preserve the flavor and juiciness of your watermelon, you’ll need to store it elsewhere.
Here are a few options for keeping watermelons fresh:
- This is a simple way to keep your watermelons juicy without having to refrigerate them.
- Just thaw them before eating.
- You’ll need to do this every couple of days until you’re ready to use them.
- They’ll stay fresher than canned watermelons and you won’t have to worry about them sitting on the counter too long.
- Keep the windows cracked open and ride around with the car running for a day or so.
As you can see, there are many ways to keep your watermelons fresh.
But what happens if your watermelon becomes spoiled?
How can you tell if watermelon is bad?
There are many different ways to tell if your watermelon has gone bad.
Here are a few things to watch out for:
- This is the first sign that something is off.
- If your watermelon starts leaking juice, then it’s likely past its prime.
- A mushy watermelon means that it’s been sitting in the fridge too long.
- If it’s too soft to pick up, throw it out.
- If the skin has spots and cracks, it could mean that the flesh underneath is rotting.
- This indicates that the watermelon was exposed to air for too long.
- Throw it out immediately.
What are the signs of watermelon going bad?
When your watermelon starts to show signs of spoilage, it’s time to toss it out.
Even though you might be tempted to save it by putting it in the fridge, it’s best to avoid any temptation.
Instead, dispose of it properly.
If you buy large watermelons, you might want to cut them up to save space in your fridge.
Otherwise, here are some other signs that your watermelon is ruined:
- This is usually caused by bacteria growing inside the rind.
- This can happen if the watermelon sits on its side for too long.
- This is a sign that the watermelon has been sitting in the sun too long.
- This is another sign that the watermelon has been sitting in the sun too long.
In addition to these signs, you should also check the bottom of the watermelon for any rotten pieces.
These pieces may contain mold or bacteria.
If you find any, discard them immediately.
What does bad watermelon taste like?
Bad watermelons tend to taste very sour.
In fact, they often taste similar to rotten tomatoes.
If you get a bad watermelon, you probably won’t be able to enjoy it much.
Instead, it’ll be better to peel the rind and eat the rest of the watermelon as a snack.
However, if you really must eat the whole thing, try using a citrus zester to scrape out the seeds and remove the bitter part of the rind.
If you’re lucky enough to find good-quality watermelon, you might be able to salvage the entire thing.
How can you tell if watermelon is fresh?
If you know how to spot a good quality watermelon, you’ll be able to tell if it’s good or bad almost instantly.
Here are a few tips to help you identify a great watermelon:
- If you pull on it, it should feel solid.
- If it’s light, it may be overripe.
- Any wrinkles are an indicator that the watermelon has been sitting in the sun too long.
- Darker colors indicate that the watermelon has been sitting in the fridge too long.
- If the flesh is white, then it’s probably rotten.
Watermelon is super tasty, super nutritious, and super easy to grow
Although watermelons are delicious, they’re more nutritious than you might think.
According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, a medium-sized watermelon contains:
These vitamins and minerals provide essential nutrients that we all need every day.
So whether you’re eating watermelon for dessert or lunch, you’re sure to get plenty of health benefits.
What is the best way to eat watermelon?
Watermelon can be eaten in many different ways.
You can slice it up and serve it as a salad, add it to your favorite summertime recipe, or simply scoop it out of the rind with a spoon.
In short, watermelon can be enjoyed in many different ways.
What are some watermelon recipes?
Watermelon is delicious on its own, but it’s even better when paired with other foods.
Is watermelon healthy?
Watermelon is a wonderful, healthy food that provides tons of valuable nutrition.
Smoked Watermelon Ham
- 3 tablespoon Coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 Piece A large watermelon
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 3 cup Soaked hickory chips
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder
- ½ cup Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves ground
- Garnish thyme sprigs, orange or fresh rosemary
- Carefully remove the watermelon rind to remain with flesh shaped like a flat-based football.
- Put the watermelon on your work surface or chopping board.
- Make inch-deep slices on top of the watermelon.
- Add coconut sugar, paprika, salt, black pepper, onion, cloves, and garlic powder in a bowl and mix.
- Carefully rub the spice mixture all over your watermelon.
- Put your watermelon on a baking sheet and refrigerate for twelve hours uncovered. Not covering it will remove excess moisture and allow the spices to sip in.
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees celsius
- Remove your soaking hickory chips and drain the water leaving it a bit wet.
- Smear the wet chips on a roasting pan and put them on a rack inside the oven.
- Place your watermelon on the pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake the watermelon for about 30 minutes. Tighten the foil to keep the smoke inside while it bakes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 120 degrees Celsius and bake for another 3 hours.
- Remove the foil and roast for 3 hours again.
- Turn the broiler on to a high temperature.
- Remove your watermelon from the baking sheet, drain excess liquid, and put it on a baking pan.
- Brush the chipotle and honey glaze you made on top of the watermelon.
- For about 12 minutes, broil and rotate the pan until the honey and chipotle glaze caramelize.
- Remove your watermelon from the oven and leave it to cool.
- Transfer the watermelon to a serving plate with garnish.
- Smear your watermelon with the honey and chipotle glaze while still warm.
- You can serve the remaining glaze on the side and enjoy!