Nothing satisfies the soul like a savory, comforting, and rich bowl of soup on a cold winter or chilly night.
Not just any ordinary rushed soup, but one cooked slowly to blend in the flavors and bring out an aroma that will make you drool from the moment you lift off the lid..
The beef barley soup pioneer woman is a rich nutritious combination of succulent chunky beef, barley, and vegetables.
It is a must-try for soup lovers looking for a hearty, warm, and comforting choice that is healthy and tasty.
The slow-cooked tender meat will melt in your mouth and leave a burst of flavors as you sample this treat that is ideal as a meal on its own or with a side like bread or salad..
Having barley as a soup base makes for one healthy choice of soup.
For starters, it is a fiber-rich and low-fat source of protein.
Barley is also a whole grain and aids in digestion by removing excessive impurities in the digestive system. .
Additionally, barley can reduce blood pressure and has skin healing properties.
Eating this rich soup makes you full for longer and with fewer calories; hence might help manage weight because it reduces your food cravings..
Other barley nutrients include magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, iron, niacin, manganese, and vitamin B. .
You can store your leftover soup in the fridge or the freezer for later use.
Safe storage in the fridge will make it last for five days, while the soup can last for between two to three months in the freezer..
To store in the fridge, first, cool the soup completely and then transfer it into clean, sealable glass containers.
After sealing, place in the fridge and chill.
If you prefer freezing, use plastic freezer bags.
First, cool the soup at room temperature, then pour it into the bags and store it in the freezer.
You can store in portions to only thaw the amount you want to use..
The best way to reheat your soup while maintaining the flavors is to simmer on your stovetop.
Alternatively, you can also microwave it or heat it in the oven..
If you prefer using the microwave, put soup in a bowl and heat for 2-3 minutes while covered with damp paper towels to ensure that it steams well..
To reheat the frozen soup, thaw it by boiling a pot of water and putting the freezer bag into the hot water for some minutes.
Once it thaws, heat using the above methods and drink it hot..
Below are the nutritional facts in bowl serving of the beef barley soup pioneer woman:.
The beef barley soup pioneer woman is easy to prepare and at the same time yummy and nutritious.
Treat your family to this hearty soup meal during one of those weekends when you just want to stay indoors and bond.
Savor the Beef Barley Soup Pioneer Woman
- ⅔ Cup barley
- 2-3 pounds chuck roast
- 6 cup low medium beef broth
- 1 can tomato
- 2 carrot
- 3 garlic
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 can corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or a large cooking pot.
- Using tongs, sear the beef in the oil until it is browned, then remove and place aside on a plate.
- Put onions, carrots, and celery in the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add parsley, thyme, garlic, and oregano, then cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Now, add the diced tomatoes, beef, and bay leaf.
- Slowly simmer the beef until it becomes fork tender (about 1 ½ hour).
- Add corn and barley.
- Cover and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue simmering for 15 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the pot and trim it of any fat or gristle.
- Chop the beef into medium-sized pieces and place it back into the soup.
- Serve with your favorite side.